larger 1/2acre+ pond consulting companies

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by mas, Jun 24, 2007.

1. mas

mas LawnSite Member

I have a client who wants a pond for his geothermal loop but also wants it to function as a swimming pond and also have fish in it. I have no experience with a pond this size but i have the machinery on hand to do the job.

I was looking at having Spring Creek Aquatic Concepts (http://www.aquahabitat.com) consult.

does anyone know if this company is reputable? from reading their website they seem to have the best info and make the best claims that i can find in my research.

I notice the website is very old though 1999 and uses multiple domain names. which puts a red flag off to me.

any info would be appreciated

thanks

2. peacefulfalls

peacefulfalls LawnSite Member

I own Peacefulfalls in La Crosse WI, and I have done a few bigger swimming ponds for clients. I use bog filtration to make awesome waterfalls and to filter the water to keep it clean. The homeowners love it and swim in it all the time.
    This one has about a 100 koi in it and you can see all 14 feet down. I think people need to look more into letting nature filter there water features. Romans used bog filtration to clean there drinking water, its been around along time. This one is a fairly new one, so the plants are not big yet but they still filter the water great.

5084 resized.jpg

3. mas

mas LawnSite Member

thats a very nice looking pond. are you using a liner or clay/benotite? also what are the dimensions / depth ?

thanks

4. peacefulfalls

Its a lined pond and the depth is 14 feet at center and its 95 x 105 feet long.
    The waterfall is 25 feet wide.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

do u have pics of the bog?

6. peacefulfalls

i will post some pics of the bog and some other bogs that I have done

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Peaceful..........I have 2 ponds totaling 250-300,000 gallons. To date, nothing was ever done. While we do have some plants, the water is covered in a brownish green alge. So much so, that after year 3, the gravity fed inlet pipe that feeds the pumping well is clogged and both pumps have burned out.
    How does one go about dealing with this algae on a regular basis so that it isnt completely brown and choking itself? We have frogs, koi, and turtles. Both ponds are connected by a stream that pumps about 13,000 gph. There is no filtration system, and the homeowner does not want more than 10-20% plant coverage. Budget is not really an issue as long as whatever we do continues to work. Chemicles? Any ideas or direction would be greatly appreciated.

8. peacefulfalls

the big bog plants are small, first year they sleep, second year they creap, third year they leap.

106 resized.jpg

c bog resized.jpg

resized bog.jpg

9. peacefulfalls

MDLWN1 with what you described it sounds like you need a areator or 2. I would sugest putting in a bogfiltration system. If you dont want to go that route I would use the clear pac system from thepondguy.com his stuff works great, I use it in all my bigger ponds its safe for everthing.

10. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I have 1 aerater. Would I need to treat weekly, monthly? Our primary concern is the pumps continue to work...not really perfect water.