1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Larger decks, Worse cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Nov 16, 2003.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

We tried a used 60 in. dixie chopper-seemed to cut much worse than our 48 exmark walk behind. Do you guys see a preformance drop from 48 in to 60 in as far as leaving an uncut strip between blade 2 and 3, many more clumps, etc?
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

My 72" Chopper cuts better than my 50".
    My 48" Scag cuts better than my 50" also.
    Depends on what grass type I'm mowing.
  3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We have a 36 three 60 and two 72 with MEG MO blades on and you can run them side by side and wont see any different except for the width of cut
  4. Ron Greenwood Jr

Ron Greenwood Jr LawnSite Member
    from IL

Were the blades sharpened? You are also using two differnt mowers. Which could produce differnt results in cut quality.
  5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends a lot on the ground levelness you're cutting. Un-level ground, lots of highs and lows, slopes, seems to have a better cut quality with smaller decks, probably less scalping too.
    If cutting really smooth ground, any size deck will make a good cut.
    So analyze your ground surface before choosing which mower to use.
  6. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

blades have alot to do with it, some blades other than the machine brand are sometimes 4-5 mls shorter so when they get sharpened the blade length is less again, causing mowhawks on grass.
  7. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

sounds like you may have had your discharge gaurd in place. if so the bigger decks may cut a little worse seeing they need to move more air to cut more grass at once and get it out from under the deck. sounds like you may have had some wet grass clogging also. just some things to check on.
  8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We use our 72" cub on 99% of our lawns. It cuts better then the 60".
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

As a general rule, the longer the blade, the better the cut. Thats with all other conditions being equal.

A 72" exmark deck will cut better than a 48" exmark deck.

But you get into deck size in relationship to ground contour. In which case, a 48" mower will leave a better cut on undulating contoured lawns.

BTS is also another factor, as is HP, deck design, and the type of grass.
  10. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

easycareacres, This is one of the reasons MEG-MO blades work so well. They stay sharp 8-10 longer and this will eliminate wearing off so fast. With twice as many knives coming around this eliminates mohawking.