Larges estimates: Do you line item price?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Aug 21, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am just curious on how most of you deal with large jobs with many different parts. Do you give prices by line item? ie: raised patio-28k, backwalk-7k, plantings 40k, etc.. Or do you just put one price at the bottom?

I have always itimized everything for the last couple of years, but now i am thinking of going with 1 price at the bottom.

What do you guys do?

2. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have to figure my costs by component, so why not give it to them by component. I bet 95% of the time a landscape proposal is more than the customer expects. This always helps tell the story (or it helps me tell the story) in my opinion, of how it came to be such a big number. Further, it saves me time by not having to go back a recreate a more detailed proposal and meet with them again.

I think it helps psychologically, as well. "Oh - that retaining wall is only $7k, well the patio really is big so $30k seems fair....so yeah, I guess $150k for the project is reasonable.."

I list all of the materials (without individual pricing) related to the component then a total dollar figure for that component. They know exactly what they are getting, materials wise, and they know the bottom line for each component.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I make seperate quotes for hardscapes/landscape. However, within each of the those quotes will be a base price along with a bunch of upgrades/options. For instance, aluminum landscape edging for the beds or just a cut edge.

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I give one price unless there is something specific that they wish to have priced separatly.

If I line item it gives them the oportunity to determine value of separate components. I don't want to spend that much for this, oh and that blah blah blah. Next thing I know all the designing and figuring I did is down the toilet. Then there is also the oportunity to downsize the project. Oh, $10k for that? Lets not do that part blah blah blah. I'm in business to make money. I deliver a product with a price for the total project and push it as a whole meaning more work and more money.

Flood them with details. More details feels like more value and a more knowledgable company.

5. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

List all different components, with materials for each seperate. 1 total price.

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i agree with tthomas they will just pick it apart if you do it that way, if they want to pull something out then go back and reconfigure a price for them. and since you have been doing it this way it will get alot easier when you change over

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I so one lump sum price.

Makes things easy.

I NEVER, EVER list the material costs.

People have in mind a price when they buy a car. They do not go to the dealership and say "ok how much is this cadillac if we buy it with no trunk lid". They already have an amount in mind of what they want to spend for that Cadillac.

Same goes for a hardscape consumer. They're either cool with spending $31,123.00 or they're not.

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

When a job has many different components I break them out into separate prices on my proposal. This way if a customer is over their budget they can pick an item or two that they can phase in later. I do warn them that the prices WILL change when they come back to it later. I never break out the materials and labor though. This gives the customer too much info.

Chris

9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Exactly how I do it.

Chris, maybe you're smarter than I've been giving you credit for.

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I think it better helps the customer understand where their money is going when we are talking such larger numbers.

On a 10k project i'd lum sum it.