Largest Poly used?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I was a primarily PVC installer, but I did use Poly in some situtations. The largest poly I ever used was 2" for a suction line for a pump (Fed it out 15' into a lake and staked it so it was about 6' under water.

Anyways, aside from getting prohibitivly expensive, Poly that size is a real bear to handle compared to PVC.

Does anyone use big poly? 2" and above?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

myself i never used over 2inch....

but im a pup so that statment will hopefully change...
    on a sidenote i was tossing some rolls around and the 2 inch came untapped..so i kicked it down to the ground and WAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM!
    i took a shot to the Jaw.....its these lessons that i learn the quickest...pain=dont do it again

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We have some HDPE main line in the ground that is 4" diameter.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Does a water reel count? We had two large water reels at a golf course in a time far far away that had 4" poly. I never understood why such large pipe. I see reels now with much smaller pipe/hose that do about the same thing. Pop called them "circuses", complained that he only had two rings instead of 3. We used these to water large rough areas that were not irrigated.
    I've worked on some 4" poly suction lines as well. I've learned not to like poly suction lines. The barb connections are the first place to look when priming problems show up.

5. PurpHaze

The 4" HDPE was put in one summer when I was on vacation. It was an emergency move of a backflow and subsequent tie-in for a section of high school athletic fields next to our main stadium. It was supposed to wait until I got back and we were going to do it with PVC. However, the construction of a new restroom building and handicapped parking and ramped area for the stadium got moved up so they called in a company to do it. They decided on HDPE instead of PVC due to a bend that needed to be made at the far end of the stadium.

6. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I use 2" poly on large systems anytime I have to pass a mainline through a sleeve. Call me superstitious, but I just don't like to put a joint under a driveway, so I transition over to poly for that. I figure even if a site screws up their winterization, they won't have to break pavement for the repairs.

7. PurpHaze

We had just that problem with a new elementary school site only 6 months after it opened. A 4" PVC main line went unprotected under a 36' wide bus drive lane and started leaking. The main line was supposed to have been installed looped but wasn't in this area as it was a spur main line for the front of the site. PVC 3" diameter pipe will not go through 4"... but 3" HDPE pipe will. The original 4" main line was cut on both ends and used as a sleeve to run the 3" HDPE pipe through which was then reconnected to the original 4" PVC main on both ends of the bus drive.

8. Turf2NV

Turf2NV LawnSite Member

I have used as large as 12" HDPE on a 2000 GPM golf course system. All mains were HDPE started as 12" at the pump house and looped throughout the course. We had 12,10,8,6,4 inch HDPE mains, and all 2" sch 40 laterals. The HDPE was great stuff, tough to move 50' sticks of 12", but you could bend it to a 20' radius and drive a JD 750 bulldozer over it without damage.

Kyle

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How were you connecting the large-diameter HDPE? I don't see any 12-inch barbed fittings in my catalogs.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Butt fusioning. Otherwise known as plastic welding.

Its an art I wish I knew.