Largest Undamaged Bradford Pear Contest

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Marcos, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I did an estimate today for selectively pruning a 20 year old Bradford Pear that somehow escaped wind shear due to it's position between buildings. The radius from trunk to dripline is 18', so according to Michael Dirr's notes on Pyrus, the height should be double that, or 36'. Can anyone 'top' that? (pun intended, please never 'top' anything green with branches!)
    PS- no Chanticleers or Aristocrats allowed. They have a distinct cone shape compared to the Bradford's round shape. Oh, remember when everyone thought the Bradford was the miracle tree? And then all they did from about1974ish-? was grow thick towards it's center, and then gradually shear away in the wind to this day!
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Great idea for a thread. I like it.
  3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Last week I had to clean up a Bradford Pear due to wind shear. I only removed what split. Do you think the rest of the tree has any chance of surviving?

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

No. Well, it will for a while, but the rest pretty much WILL fall down. There used to be quite a few bradford pear trees in my area but a couple of winter storms did them in. We had one in our back yard that about a quarter of it broke once, then about 3/4ths of the rest broke in another storm, so at that point we took it all down. At least it made good firewood.
  5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Cities should think about banning Bradford Pears within the towns limits. There hazardous to have in ones landscape or along streets.
  6. Marcos

Hmm, Grasswhacker, I wasn't aware that Bradfords were still commercially available in light of their disreputability over the last twenty five or so years. At least they are not in the midwest. That's when better branching cone-shaped varieties like Aristocrat began to emerge.
  7. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

Got 5 in my moms back yard. Uh, sorry 4, one fell on a fence during a storm. Biggest has lost about 1/4 when a storm hit it.

Pretty tree, shame. Better then the stupid gumball trees though..
  8. grasswhacker

Their sold in all the big box stores that have garden centers. Aristocrat and Cleveland pears are better. Bradford however should be discontinued from being available to anyone.
  9. grasswhacker

I think they now have sweet gum trees that have little to no gum balls.
  10. Marcos

Carefully look at Razor 1's picture at the top of the broken section of the branch. See how the newest growth "reaches" back toward the center of the tree? This is an Achilles heel, and what was addressed when new varieties were introduced. When full grown pears are pruned, their lives can be extended by taking out some of the "competing" vertical branches reaching through the middle, and generally cleaning the middle without doing too much in one spot at one time to cause water sprouts.