laser grading

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcatuser, Apr 7, 2008.

1. bobcatuser

bobcatuser LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone dose laser grading with a skidsteer or tractor? I have been thinking about a laser box blade for some time but would like to find out more before buying. The two models I have looked at are the 7’ dual dozer and the PL84 by Level Best.
  2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Try searching, I think guys were talking about it in some threads awhile ago.
  3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a library on the topic. I have spoken with Dual Dozer and Level Best, and Southern Laser now known as Southern Precision. The dual plane Level Best is MSRP at about 25k and Dual Dozer was about 21K. I have spent a lot of time on this topic an after years of procrastination I am finally about to buy in. I am getting the Southern Pecision grader. I am going to use the Dual DanFoss valve rather than SP's valve. I will have CAT come and install the system on the grader and my 440. They will warranty the components and provide training on the system. It is costing about 1500 more than had I bought everything from SP. However, I now have someone I can work with locally. I have no clue how this stuff works and I am willing to pay more to have the guts of the system installed here.

My personal thought is if your going to do it go with a dual plane system.

I have been getting everything in order year by year. The dual plane laser, Apache proportional receivers, new vibratory roller, VTS tracks. Now all I need is the attachment, oh and a water truck.
  4. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Ksss, what kind of attachment are you getting? Must be some kind of grader for that much$. I know a box blade, reciever, and hydraulic kit is in the $8-9xxx.00 range.
  5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Pull the trigger and write the check so I can come see how it works. I would love to have that set up, but I spent all my extra frog-skins on a new turbo and injectors - besides that, I am just chicken. :) I do believe there is a market for a fine grading unit like that and once you get established and known for that you will be the "go-to" guy. If you need to practice a bit, drive on down....I just had the "city's finest" try to install (operative word there is try) a new road base driveway with a crown in the middle ( what's that?) and graded from the street into the yard with some sembalance of grade/slope. Only took them 2 1/2 days to screw the pooch on that Mr Laser Grader Man!
  6. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Ksss, when you getting the grader? Seems the prices for the graders really went up.

I find the grading attachment/market very interesting, may never get in to it but love to read about it.
  7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Well I don't know about 9K. The dual plane laser transmitter is 3500 all on its own. The two proportional receivers are about 2K a piece for Apache. If your just looking at a single plane than yes, you can get by for less. However your capability is reduced to flat grade only.

The unit I am working on is the Skid Master Pro. The picture shows a single plane unit.
  8. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Actually i think there is places you could still use the single grade box.By having a graded laser(not just a level laser),you you could set the grade in the direction you was running the pad.

You would set the laser at the slope degrees you need it to slope then run the machine in the direction you need the slope to be.

Like normal pad instead of going length wise you would be grading side to side of the pad.Now if you had a pad where you had to have slope in it length way and side ways then the dual grade box would be a must.

I did do a hog feeding sloped pad that had grade going length wish and side ways.Plus started out flat,then to dual slope to flat at the bottom with some grade to one end of the floor.

That was with a dozer,so it can be done.That is the only thing that i can think of that i ever used a combination of that many slope and grade changes at one time on a job.:usflag:
  9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

There are places to use a single slope. However I don't want to buy twice. My criteria was to be able to pull both the X and Y axis in one pull and not have to do checker boarding. What I like is the system is totally automated. You dial the slope in the laser and drive the skid steer. My hope is that I wont have to be on every technical concrete prep. I have the ability now to do single slope using the slope laser and my Apache plus 5. However it is not automated.
  10. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

I understand your concern for not having to invest more then once.

Just wanted to point out that it can be done with a single slope, one reciever box scraper,and graded laser just would take longer.

How many jobs would you normally have to have a dual grade slope on a year and what would be an example,compared to the one i gave ?

I see a lot of side slope jobs,but not many with the dual grade as in length and side slope in the pads.I suppose since i thought more about it i would answer my own question.Parking lots would be an example.

Just one more thing,the SP Master Pro,won't probably work on a Case:confused: All they had them mounted on was a Bobcat and a Deere:rolleyes:.

Would like to see a picture of their dual grade set up.The Hitch Doc one i thought was one of the best of all them i looked at(my choice).I know lots of money.It looked to be very good engineering,heavy duty, and thought out.

Plus they had a lot of close up pictures to see it and how it would work.Looked fool proof pretty much.Probably no chance of demo being that far away.Good luck and send me some closeups when you get it sometimes.:usflag: