Laser level..what features should i look for?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by xtreem3d, Mar 15, 2010.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

wanting to try the use of a laser instead of string line's to see what works best for me ..what should i look for?
    steve

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

self leveling is a must. grade feature is really nice. dual grade is even nicer. being able to set the grade is even better than that.

3. xtreem3d

LB...
    can you explain a little about the benfits of each feature? what they'll do for me laying pavers or building walls? or even doing home construction projects?
    TIA
    steve

4. xtreem3d

PS what about remote feature?

5. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Self leveling means that the laser will level itself if your tripod is reasonably close to level.
    The grade function allows you to set the laser up on the slope you want, so you don't have to figure out how much fall you should have at any given point.
    Dual grade allows you to set the slope on two axis.
    This type of laser (rotary) doesn't need a remote, you just turn it on and it projects a plane in all directions and you use a reciever mounted on a survey rod to find the plane. The kind I started out with (visible dot) used a remote to turn the laser to move the dot (pain in the arse), and had no grade option. Rotary is much better, but costs more.
    Look for one with a function that turns the laser off if it gets bumped.
    Hope that made sense.

6. xtreem3d

yeah..that was great. any specific model # or mfgr? i'd like something nice,
    steve

7. killerbee133

killerbee133 LawnSite Member

I would recommend Robo Toolz if your looking for a good laser. It's a little over a grand but it's really worth the money.

8. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lasermark LMH GR by CST/Berger. It has a single axis grade function and is accurate to +/- 1/8" at 100'.
    I think it cost a little over $800 a few years ago, and has always worked perfectly.