Laser Levels - What's in you truck?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PerfiCut L&L, Mar 26, 2008.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Wanted to get some insight on various laser levels. We have been using a manual level for a few years now, and I'm seeing a lot more talk about laser levels now a days. Wanted to see what everyones using and get some feedback on some of various features they may or may not have.

If you dont mind, post what make or model your using and tell us a little about it and how it has benefited (or not).

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I got the berger from home depot for about $400. It is a single slope unit, but unless you are doing a lot of grading or building driveways, it is all you will need. I would be lost with out mine. there is nothing like stepping out of the stone age...

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Well dont laugh but I got my Lazer level from Harbor Freight, it came with a tripod leveling head and lazer,all in a nice plastic case for 40$ and less if you can catch it on sale.
    Im a solo parttime landscape maintance co. I do have a 300lb mini excavator and have ocassionally get some work for french drains or drain tiles, so far the lazer workde fine, I don do enough of that kind of work to justify a 400 - 500$ unit.

I also used the lazer to build my house foundation of 700 blocks footing and all. Turned out really good all level and the front is 5 blocks high and the back of the house is 3 blocks high and Im no brick mason.

4. landstyles

landstyles LawnSite Member

I bought a Spectra Precision Laser LL330 with the CR600 receiver wich can be mounted to our skid steer or backhoe for grading. It's a great level. I use to use manual levels, but like the idea of setting grades by myself. My advice is to search on ebay for some good deals.

5. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

Hilti forget the model but i would be lost without it

6. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i just got one for 20 at a flee market. check out my laser thread sounds like the sameone everyone says will not work:cool2:

7. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

It will give you a rough idea of how deep to dig if you can even see the beam. It will be one step up from eyeballing it at over 10' though.

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

got an auto leveling / sloping spectra... absolutely love it, you set yo up and any idiot can run pipes/ etc

9. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

We have the David White 3175 Dual Slope auto leveling unit. 95% of the time we use it in single slope mode only, but the 5% when doing driveways, pool surrounds that need dual slopes it is invaluable. COuld not even think of doing this work without some sort of laser level. As with anything accuracy of the tool and accuracy of the user of the tool work hand in hand to determine the outcome of the job.

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

If I needed one everyday I probably wouold buy the 400$ stuff. However my Harborfreight lazed has worket out excellent so far I think I may have done around 25 projects with it.