LASIK and Leaves???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heybruck34, Oct 3, 2003.

1. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

Since January 2nd I have been 20/20~!. Best $2003 dollars I ever spent. One of the drawbacks is your eyes are more sensitive but this has not bothered me in the least except for needing to use eyedrops in the morning.

Last weekend I was cleaning the leaves off my yard using the trusty Scag WB and MAN was it dusty. I almost had to stop a couple times to wash my eyes out. I NEVER had this problem in all the years I wore contacts.

Have any of ya'll had LASIK and how do you deal with the drier eyes that come with it? I am afraid of what is going to happen as I get farther into fall and the leaves/dust increase!

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I've been checking in on this as I am thinking about it over the winter and it seems that the dry eyes come with the territory for a while. You may have naturally dry eyes or a dryer tear duct (like I do) but the procedure does cause dryness that may or may not resolve.
    Very timely question, nothin like farmer snappin leaf boogers and pickin yards of dust from the eyes. Good Luck.

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to buy some goggles with good filters on them. They're made spacifically for working in dusty conditions. Think I saw them for sale at Lowes.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I deal with extremely dusty conditions when I scalp bermuda lawns. I have tried goggle, but the sweat and the way they fog up is aweful. I have been wanting to try some kind of full face mask....maybe even something issued my the militaty (coming from an army surplus store of something). I have worn earplugs aslo. It never fails......dust will find it's way in every orfice above the neck some how.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Goofy but effective: swimming goggles. I'm thinking about trying it this fall, or the ones work_it mentioned.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It was $1000 per eye maybe 2 years ago and I think last year it was $500 an eye and then $299 this year. Lots of competition here.

7. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

lasik is advertised as 299 in Ohio also but wait till you go in. That is for near 20/20 vision. Start adding on for each unit you are off and the you have a choice of machines to do it and of course the best machine that laser locks on your eye cost way more. And then there is the warranty issue - you can pick your warranty. the 299 comes with little or no warranty. My girl friend checked into it. It went from 299 to 1400 per eye before she got out of there.

8. mr fixit

mr fixit LawnSite Member

Congratulations to you!! it is some of the best money you'll spend!!
    I had lasik on Feb.14 this year. My eyes were very sensitive for 3 months or so. They got better fairly fast after that. My Dr. gave me what looked like ski goggles to wear and said to wear them for the first month anytime I was outside. I still have them, although I don't use them anymore. I have seen ads in army-navy surplus type catalogs for "desert dust goggles" suposedly used by our troops when in the Persian Gulf war the first time. You might try something like that.

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Today while at Lowe's I got the ones Work_it mentioned, they also come with a face dust breathing filter and a pair of earplugs all for $6.82, now i hope i won't have to scrape out my eyes anymore during leaf season!

10. jbob

jbob LawnSite Member

I had my first surgery late in 2000. had a problem with a growth under the flap on one eye. over a year and a half with a lot of pain and very poor vision. after several more surgeries the one eye still gives me a lot of trouble.i have talked to many other people who have had the procedure and nobody else had a bit of trouble. i thought i was just the one in a million but was offered a spot in an fda study for people the same problem as mine. just understand there are problems with some people. i play the odds so i would probably try it again if i had it to do over.

jbob