1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Last crabgrass treatments

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Nitroman, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

If you get a new account late, say June or all of your other accounts are done with they're'e first app. and your on to round two. Does every accounts 1st app have to be something like dimension? Even if it's the middle of Summer.
  2. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I spoke to soon, I found this on Purdues web site.

"If a preemergence herbicide is justified on a turf area, the timing of application is important. In theory, applying too early will expose the herbicide to soil microbes and processes in the soil that may break it down, allowing crabgrass to germinate during the latter part of the summer. Conversely, applying too late may miss the early part of the germination window of crabgrass. Our research as well as research from other universities show preemergence herbicides break down very slowly in our cool spring soils. Applications made at the proper rate in late fall and early spring will provide adequate control throughout the summer. Therefore, when applying preemergence herbicides, itÂ’s better to error on the side of being early than too late. We recommend applications no later than 15 Mar. to 1 Apr. in southern IN, 1 Apr. to 15 Apr. in central IN, and 10 Apr. to 25 Apr. in northern IN."
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Well, maybe we have a different set of conditions here in CT, but I have'nt, in 15 years of fertilizing lawns, gotten better than 10 or 11 weeks of control, in general. There have been some odd cases, but I find that it simply does not last longer than that. I like to put mine down as late as time allows.
    To answer your original question, if I pick up a customer in mid summer, they get a Dimension app., as fertilizing a lawn will stir up the weeds too, and Dimension will kill baby crabgrass (1st or 2nd tiller stage).
  4. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with late Dimension appl.
    However, do the math. Will it breakdown so you can seed in fall?
  5. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

That's interesting, I'm curious if you can seed after a late summer app..
    Are you saying it will defiantly stop the seed from germinating?
  6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Dimension is a Pre-emergent!
  7. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

don't apply dimension after the 1st week in June if you plan to reseed in the fall.
  8. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Barricade doesn't have the post-emergent properties as Diemension, but does allow you to reseed in as little as 4 to 6 weeks.
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

They say Napomb is a great crabgrass killer
  10. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

In this area, I would use Dimension up until the end of May. Switch to Drive in June and July (Post and some pre, I hear). August, forget it - sell a reseeding to be done in September.....