1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Last day results in questions:blowers,hand spreaders

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by drobin, Nov 8, 2009.

1. drobin

drobin LawnSite Member

This was basically my last day of applications and I noticed Im losing time using a handheld blower to blow off driveways. Also a hand held spreader would have benefitted me on certain lawns.

Your opinions on what to purchase.

what backpack blower?

what hand held spreader?

Also, I have your typical commercial lesco walkbehind spreader and took off the guard that supposedly will keep most of the fertilizer off the driveways. It didnt work very well at all, has anyone ever rigged up something to their spreader that does a good job(keeps it off driveways) going up against driveways

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

this will be intersting. well as far as handhelds go the cheapo scotts from walmart works great. i use it for snapshot though not fert. never tried that. blower, take your pic. we prefer echo but we do lawns too and got the biggun, 755t. it is a great machine.

3. brizine

brizine LawnSite Member

Are you closing the third hole when trimming with the deflector down? I use the same spreader and almost never have to blow the side walks off.

4. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I also use the same spreader and almost never blow off drive ways either. You've got to shut off the third hole though. Maybe your deflector wasn't dropping low enough??

As far as hand spreaders go I just get the Scott's from walmart.... cheap and easy. I throw it in the hopper when I might need it.

I normally use my Stihl BG85 hand held blower to blow off driveways/sidewalks (when I have to) and I feel that it is plenty efficient. I also have a Stihl BR400? backpack blower that works well too. Normally I just like using the hand held more though and I leave the backpack blower on the mowing truck.

IMO, as far as blowers go, just pick one where you can get good service. I've owned redmax, stihl, and echo... they all work pretty well for me. The only commercial grade blower I didn't like was Shindaiwa. Stihl my favorite because the dealer is one mile away and I've never had a single problem with them.... I've owned 10+ pieces of stihl equipment with no breakdowns, ever. (maybe I'm just lucky)

5. drobin

drobin LawnSite Member

:hammerhead: I never knew the third hole had a way to close it, wow !!!! Thanks guys!

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco and Earthway make hand-helds. Scotts "Handy Green" is a good bet. It costs more, but the wrist brace is important, because after about 60 seconds the weight of the ordinary one begins to pull your wrist down. If you are left-handed--well you know what problems can happen. The crank is on the right.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Riggle...that is as easy fix! If you are left handed you just have to turn it upside down! :laugh:

8. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I carry a handheld stihl on my z-max for the little drives and the back patios.

I break out the stihl br600 backpack for the larger/longer drives.

9. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Do you have to crank backward with it upsidedown?

10. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

for a handheld spreader, ive found the scotts to have the best spread

since your using and caring for the blower yourself
    id recommend something nice and powerfull
    your never know when you need to blow leaves, or a parking lot,
    or somedays just walkways
    i personally am happy with br600's
    i also take a wheel blower occasionally in the fall
    g/l