Last Minute!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Feb 22, 2009.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I am putting on a little training tomorrow for two guys that are going to be helping me this year and I am just now preparing for it!

I am going to keep it very informal but want to present good info and make it simple yet informative.

I want to cover:

Introduce who we are and why we are different
    How we operate our business
    What seperates us from our competitors
    Product/Personal safety
    How and why chems work
    Rates and calibration
    PPE
    Rounds and Quality of product/product timing
    Quality

Any other topics that should be covered?

Do you guys have anything that you use to do this? I have a 50 page safety training guide from ODA I am going to use plus a few other little things.

Do you guys have any ideas or examples of what you have used?

2. what about how to talk with customers, sounds simple, but you know.......................

3. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have not already in the interview please please your expectations of them timeliness, respectfulness, communications, and maybe what your plans are for the year. Don't give them any false hopes. That was one of the biggest things that made we go into business for myself. I never saw any hope for promotion or such.

4. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like you covered alot, the only things I would add are.

1. Appearance, as you know your company and word of mouth is totally driven on this.

2. Truly understanding Labels, this is one thing I have found very important, not only mixing correctly but also in the possibility of that employee having to deal with the department of Ag. while in the field. I say this because it can truly save you money in fines.

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I had an employee once who would knock on the door and say, "WE'RE HERE TO KILL THE BUGS!!". :dizzy:

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

So you're about to sign on your first hired hands?....Prepare to enter the Twilight Zone :dizzy::hammerhead::laugh:

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Meant to post Creech's quote...sorry.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Hey Ted!

Yep....I guess!

Only good thing is I am looking at adding a couple retired guys from GM.

They are in their mid 50's...just looking for some side work.

They don't need 40 hours a week, benefits or for me to support their family.

Kinda nice because on the rainy days or during slow times they don't work...but if it is nice out and I need them but they want to go fishing, they can (I told them the street will go both ways)!

It is going to work out pretty good I think!

Shouldn't be too bad I dont' think!

9. now thats funny.

10. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

i have no employees, but if I did, I would want them to get used to certain terminology. Such as, never use the word "poison, chemical, weed killer, etc." Instead use words such as, "product, and weed control."

may be simple, but something I would want my employees to relate while in the field.