Last mower post, I PROMISE!!! ;)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Sep 1, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, After a few threads, hours of research, and weeks of traveling around Louisiana to all the different dealers, I have made a summery and would like to know yalls opinions on an atleast 2 year lifespan, power, and quality.

All of these are the ones in my price range.

Ill start with the Toro Z master 48" 19hp kawasaki. Th price is about $5,500.00. Only thing I dont like is th 7 gauge deck.

Then theres the Scag Freedom Z 48" deck 26hp briggs. Price is about $5600.00. Thing I dont like is you cant grease the spindles.

Then theres the hustler Fastrack 48" 19hp kawasaki $5600.00 (listed as a residential mower with commercial features)

Then theres Ferris IS 500z. 44" 24hp briggs, all wheel suspension, 10 gauge deck, greasable spindles for $5000.00

Now all In all the Ferris sounds and looks like the better deal. It seems to be the most commercial/ease of maintenance built. The only bad thing is the 44" cut but I wan live without a 48".

Between all of these, Would you say Ferris is the better deal also?

2. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

Maybe yes. Maybe no.

3. stevenf

Why would you say yes, why would you say no?

4. stevenf

Another thing, For the same price as the others($5,600.00 ish). I could get a ferris IS 1500z which is a 48" cut, 19hp kawasaki, and 10mph ground speed.
    Ferris also comes with a 2 year commercial warranty where as scag and hustler come with one. Not sure abouut toros warranty.
    Let me know what yall think.

5. curtlt00

curtlt00 LawnSite Member

Thinking of buying the same machine.

6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you not like a 7ga deck? It's tuffer then the ferris 10ga. I just don't like the look of Ferris, so I would recommend the TORO.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd recommend the Toro out of those 4, though you might be better to spend a few bucks more and get a larger engine if it's available.

Why don't you like the 7 gauge deck? The Turbo Force deck blows those other 3 cutting systems away in my opinion both in cut quality and durability.

8. stevenf

FiveOBOy- On your exmark, how does the 19hp kawasaki hold up? Is it enough power for the 48" cut?

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The lower the gauge # the heavier it is, I think you have it the other way in your mind. Out of those I would pick the toro.

10. stevenf

I did have it the other way around. What about the suspension. Would the be worth the quality difference or its pretty much Toro hands down?????