Last post on contratcs.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Aug 10, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to get all of my customers on contracts and monthly billing. It will be SOOOO much easier on me If I have this done.
    Where can I print out a contract? If I make my own, What does it say? I know I cant MAKE people let me do there lawn work. So what should the contract state?

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Have an attorney draft one that fits your situation, your needs, and will be applicable for the laws of your locality.

Picking a generic one up off somebody from another location may lead you to a path you do not wish to travel. This question has been asked on LS over and over again. One thread a couple of months ago spoke about getting into trouble with a client "breaking the contract." Later, when asked where he got the contract, "... downloaded it off LS," or words to that effect.

Local laws on matters relating to the industry vary widely. What works one place will not work another. This is why an attorney in your area who can ask you the right questions, who routinely writes contracts as part of his legal practice, is the best source of a contract.

Why do we routinely read threads about the "cheap customer," and yet the same folks are unwilling to spend money on an attorney to draft a contract for them? The same criticism applies to those LCOs with tax or accounting questions -- the local accountant is equipped to answer those questions. And, the local attorney experienced in contract writing can answer the question regarding a contracting document.

I know, I know, ... many will say, "just put down the things you expect, the tasks you will do, what and when the customer will pay, and have the customer sign it." That is a good thing to do as a statement of understanding between the parties. But, don't expect such a document to have a legal standing, and call it a legal contract.

3. stevenf

ok, I will contact them when Im ready to make one.
    One last question though. even having a signed contract, the customer can drop you at any time they please.... Which leaves a contract as a signed UNDERSTANDING of what both partys are required to do??????
    Same way with commercial or Do the contracts actually say, Im the Lawnguy for the year or however long?

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

These are the points of a contract that need to be spelled out clearly -- the length both parties are bound. Remember, you may wish to get out of the contract, just as a customer may wish to be released.

Anybody drafting a contract will know how to construct the language to support exactly what you want.

5. stevenf

So it is a bound agreement. Even if the customer isnt satisfied, they still have to pay..???