1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Last Project of Season

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GreenMonster, Jan 10, 2006.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Well, now that I've hung it up for this season, I figure I'll be a sport and post a couple pics. This was a three tier wall with Allan Block Europa -- their tumbled block.

We're looking at doing more on the other side in the spring, adding pavers between steps, and putting cultured stone on the foundation. Hopefully, we can convince them to move that propane too.

I'll include some before, during and afters.

2. GreenMonster

from NH

3. GreenMonster

from NH

oops, sorry. That last one wasn't truely an "after". This is though.

4. GreenMonster

from NH

A little detail on the stairs...... the top wall was only 2 courses, and therefore I didn't have the length to 45 the caps in the same manner as on the the taller walls. I still wanted the 45 look to match the others (vs. keeping the caps square and split-facing an outer side), so I did it like so. Whadda think?

5. GreenMonster

from NH

Here's some stair detail on the taller walls.

6. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Last job of the season? Must be nice! What are you gonna do now Mark?

Job looks real nice. Fun working with the white stuff everywhere isn't it!!!!

Give me a jingle sometime!

Catch ya later!
  7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Everything looks great.Except there's one thing in the picture that is really UGLY the

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Hey Mark, Awsome as usual, really like the look of the wall. How's things going???
  9. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

Do you use that block often? I used AB for the first time this season, I used AB Classic. I have to say, I left that job telling myself I would never use AB again, so much chipping, and the corners all had to be worked. Is that tumbled a different story?

P.S. Wall looks GREAT!
  10. GreenMonster

from NH

I use a ton of Allan Block. I'm debating going with Anchor next year for split face walls. I'm more interested in eliminating backfill of the cores, but AB lets you build a taller wall without grid, so I guess you gotta weight which option is better in each instance.

What do you mean by "so much chipping"? Do you mean corners of the block chipping off? Cuz I've seen that -- primarily when it's cold. It probably happens more so with the tumbled, but it's not quite so noticeable because, well, the block is tumbled.

Yes, the corners do need to be worked WAYYYY more than is necessary. I find their corners extremely aggravating to deal with. Luckily, the corners I got for this job were returns from someone else, and they were already cut out :) Major PITA with the patterned walls like I did here. The corners should be the same size as a stretcher in the long direction, and half the length on the short side. They're not. So on the patterned wall, you need to cut to fit in to your pattern as you come into the stairs, or an end corner for that matter. I do believe that there are better tumbled options out there, although I think AB tumbled looks good. Customer had specifically selected AB for this project.

Mark - you still working? Indoors or under a tarp I hope. When I ordered this material, Gilbert said "You're the only nut still doing walls". I had more to do, but like you said, it's such a pain working in snow and frost, I said enough. I got plenty to do though -- when I'm not pushing snow I need to update website, service all the equipment, ICPI cert, turfgrass cert, hopefully a SRW cert, NEgrows, JD Landscape irrigation class, etc, etc. :dizzy: You still thinking about doing the ICPI? What about NEGrows?

LB - things are good.... and you? Any chance of catching up at a trade show or something?