Last Purchase!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FLYonWALL9, May 26, 2005.

1. FLYonWALL9

FLYonWALL9 LawnSite Member

Ok guys some of you may remember. I'm a victim of a bad work accident. With my settlement money I decided to start up a LCC. I have everything purchased and paid for, I'm just waiting on my locking racks to really get cranking. Have insurance in place and biz lic. Everything is cool until I get to my first customers place. No way my Ferris 44 will fit in the gate, was close and would prolly fit but old rotten gate if I bumped it I'm sure it would fall.

SOOOO, to the meat of the topic. Today I went and purchased a good 21 I THINK. I did searches and so forth and couldn't see spending all the money for a true commercial unit so I opted for one built as close to one as I could find. I did searches on consumer reports, and popular mach, and this thing ranked high.

How well should I expect the Arines 911534, its got nice caster wheels on the front grease fittins in all the right places and uses the same brand motor my Ferris has which to date runs like a dream. So, who has one and how has it been for you?http://www.ariens.com/lawn_products/walk_behind_mowers/slm_21_sw/

When I get my racks I'll post pics of my rig. THANKS AGAIN FELLAS

2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I have a cub cadet 21" with front casters. I pretty much hate the casters, makes changing deck height too time consuming, makes walking a straight line almost impossible, and they can tend to flop around at high speed and/or get crossed in a reversing maneuver. My next 21 will be one with all 4 wheels fixed, and a single height adjust lever.

Kevin

3. green-go

green-go LawnSite Member

I've never used a 21 with swivel wheels, but I've heard some complaints, but some people like them as well. I could see how it might be harder to keep a straight line, I can't even keep my 36 in a straight line, especially when the yard is bumpy.... :dizzy: On some of these 21" mowers with Swivel wheels you can lock the front wheels forward, actually it looks like you can with this mower as well.

Other than the possible 'issue' of the swivel wheels, I'd say it looks like a VERY nice 21, probably one of the best choices short of getting a Commercial Toro. Ariens 21" mowers are nice, their drivetrain is similar to Snapper's, very good. Great engine on that mower as well, Kawasaki 6hp :cool2: How much did you pay for the Ariens?

Mower for Less, I've not heard very good things about that mower, it's the same mower as the MTD Pro and Troy-bilt (the MTD Pro you can get for about $300 at Sam's, same engine and all, just a different paint job). Crappy transmission and poor deck design, only thing going for them is they put a great engine on them. How has your mower worked for you, other than your dislike for the swivel wheels? Doesn't your mower have a way to lock the swivel wheels forward?

4. Mower For Less

No lock on the cub. I have a 26" snapper with swivels, it has a lock, but I dont much like them either. Gives the mower a heavier more clumbsy feel. I'm just not a swivel person I guess. Other than that, The 6.5HP Kawi is a great little engine on the 21", and the cut, especially the mulching, is great, no complaints on that. Havent had any trans problems, but it is too damn slow. I would rather have a non-propelled unit that I have to push than drag behind that slow self propelled thing. I think it was made for leisurely grandpa strolls. It does a good job overall, but this year I have gotten away from using anything smaller than a 36". Trying to get away from the little mowers.

Kevin

5. FLYonWALL9

FLYonWALL9 LawnSite Member

I'm going to try and not sound like a 34yo kid that just got his first toy. :blob3:

This thing has a lever like the throttle lever on most mower that you lock the front wheel with. I have putted around with one before and liked it. Most of my beds that I have to deal with are islands so going around them with this thing shouldn't be hard at all. Also the main reason for getting one set up like this is because having to lift the front wheels up to change direction would be too hard on my back. I got in this because I was unable to find a job paying what I used to make that I could deal with in that respect.

Anywho, it has a lever on the right side of the bars to adjust the speed its not like gears the more you push the faster it goes. You would have to trot to keep up with it. Also, it came with everything where the Deer didn't nor did my Cub dealer, also the Snapper 26 was about 600 bucks more. I will post next week how well it cuts. I'm going to do my yard with it over the weekend and see. I told my lady sales person that it was a today price cash and I went at 4 they close at 5. She said ok how is 450, SOLD! She said they had it for a long time and yadda yadda.

THANKS for the replys gang.

6. green-go

green-go LawnSite Member

Sounds like you got a great deal on it. Regarding the Snapper vs. Ariens transmission, I believe they are essentially identical, the main difference being that the Snapper has preset speeds while the Ariens is infinitely variable in speed. But I believe that mechanically they are basically the same thing, same design.

Good luck with the mower and let us know how it works. A good test of the swivel wheels would be using the mower perpendicular to the incline/decline of a hill to see if it can easily hold a straight line or not. I'm guessing it will do fine since you can lock the wheels.

Just as Mower for Less mentioned, I'm at the point where I try to use my 36 whenever possible. I only have a couple of yards that I need a 21 for at this point, but the Ariens looks like a good alternative to spending $1200 for a commercial Toro, good as they are. Commercial may be overkill if you only use it on a few yards a week.

7. Mower For Less

One thing I forgot to mention, why I think the lock is essentially useless! You get a 21" mower for small yards, that is assumed. There are most likely going to be many back and forth passes in this hypothetical yard. If you lock it for the startight away, and unlock it for the turn every time it just becomes a major PITA to the point that I never used the lock on the snapper after the first 2 passes of the first yard I cut with it.

By the way, if anybody wants a 26" snapper, I will sell the whole thing, bagger and all for $600. It only has 3 hours on it. Still has the original blade and everything. Just wasnt for me.

Kevin