last round of spraying this week getting out

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wrestlingcoach, Oct 18, 2004.

1. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

We tried fertilization and spraying this year and did not have success like we thought. We are spraying the last treatment for our customers this week and going to sell the 200 gallon sprayer when we get done.

With insurance for pesticides being so much and our area of the country (redneckville) we are stopping this part of our business.

By the way how much to ask for a 200 gallon lesco spray w/ 300 feet of hose and electric hose reel? When we bought it it was used already. We have about $1325 in the sprayer.

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm curious, how much was your insurance and what products were you spraying for fertilization and weeds?

I am doing granular fertilization/ pre-emergent weed control and spot spraying for weeds that the granular pre-emergent doesn't get. Maybe you can switch to granular and spot spraying next year instead of giving up. You can sell the lesco and get a 4 gallon electric Shurflo backpack for spot spraying.

3. wrestlingcoach

$900 for insur. FOR up to $20,000 in gross sales

pendimethlin for pre-em about $90 per 2.5 gallons
    trimac or 3-way, i want to say $60-75 per 2.5 gal
    msma forgot off hand maybe $50

we have grossed right now about $3,500 in weed control
    compared to $42,000 in mowing and $10,000 in general clean up

we put out fliers, ad in the town's paper ( long time), added a website

the 25 fert jobs were mainly off our clients that we mow their lawn
    most only wanted the 3 step program or word of mouth

i researched the programs and the prices on stuff and estes chemical was the cheapest

we pushed the program in the spring hard but really had no success
    we compared prices w/ other companies and we were cheaper.

wrong part of town ,,, this is a part time business for my partner & me. We are both teachers and coach wrestling.

trying 2b organic likes this.
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes maybe you did take on to much after seeing your last post. Being a teacher AND coach is a lot of work and time. You are doing good on the mowing end of the business for part-time. Sometimes you just need to cut your losses and move on. Looks like you have hired some helpers making that much money on mowing part-time.

Good luck with selling the equipment.

Good luck with the partnership since so many on this site say it didn't work out for them.

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Only one season to decide if applications are profitable enough? You already have the equipment, why not give it a go next year. It took me a couple of years before it made me decent money, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

6. wrestlingcoach

more time - another year - maybe better
    BUT - don't have the time between teaching/coaching on a daily basis 7:30-4:30/5

any free time is w/ the family, mainentance or mowing lawns or scheduling the lawns and books

we hired 2 guys part time. pay then decent 10/hr both are going to college

this school year has been great the guys have been mowing during the day while we have been in school during the day, profit not as good but more time.

what is a good price on the sprayer?

7. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

--"We have about $1325 in the sprayer."--

there's your price

8. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I would think his price would be the going rate or slightly below depending on how quickly he wants to sell.
    Lawn care takes a full time marketing and sales outlook. Its so different that maintenance. Unless you can really turn the maintenance side over to employees let it go.
    when you sell maintenance you are selling a service a person either needs or dont need. You dont have to get to fancy, just make youself available and get the word out. (as you know) With lawn care its like you are selling a concept, part of the suburban dream. You need to SELL that in a way you dont maintenace.
    For eg. I can get maintenance customers from a black and white Microsoft word doc flyer. I cannot get lawncare customers from the same low rent ad copy.

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

My advice to you would be don't give up so soon.

I do both mowing and fertilization as well. Not sure how much you have looked into the numbers, but my profit on mowing is 30% while fert and weed control is 50%. The 50% goes even higher if you have a client where you perform both services during the same visit.

Even if you don't have a list of clients that are fert only, it allows you to offer the whole package. Sometimes you will find that a fert only customer quickly becomes the whole package, and vice versa.

IMHO, $900 for insurance is not that bad.

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

That is much cheaper than my spray insurance mine is $600 per $5000. It jumps much higher for more so I stay below the $5000.