1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Last Summers Install

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Acmemechanic, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic LawnSite Member

I did this one Last Year by Myself.It took 3 weeks from start to finish.All manual work yard was Terraced with walls no Digging or moving Equipment.It was a time sensitive job and got done on schedule.

Harris Ave Pond Project 030.jpg

Harris Ave Pond Project 021.jpg

Harris Ave Pond Project 039.jpg

Harris Ave Pond Project 040.jpg

Harris Ave Pond Project 041.jpg
  2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Where is the pic with water in it?
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like you had a tight area to work in there!Job looks very nice..Very good work:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
  4. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

vic will like that one... no gravel or stone in the pond!
  5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

You're right JD. I do like it. :)

6. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

I see you must have used mortar with that mixer in the background:nono: How unatural ponds look this way!!!!!!!!!
  7. Acmemechanic

:cry: :cry:
    I see you are in Florida.I am in the Northeast where we have some real extreme Freeze and Thaw Cycles in the Wintertime.I could have Dry layed the stone as you suggest and took my chances with The forces of Ice.This area is Pure Glacial sand that I did this instalation in.The photos dont show that there is a complete Cinder-block footing under the wall, behind the falls and in a semi-circle in front of the falls.I did Mortar the finish stacked wall and kept to the liner side.Not to say that you wont see the mortar here and there but,I strode for that dry fit look.The cap had to be mortared for it to shed water and therefor avoid ice.The homeowner happens to be my employer Who has been a local Building Contractor for over 35 years.The Property is a Historical Governors Estate/Mansion That is Constructed of a nearby Bedrock rip-rap and Mortared and Stucco.That high rear wall matches 4 others on the property the largest being 14' high x over 200' long .My Hardest job was to Find a stone that Matched the property to the owners satisfaction.They insisted it had to seem it was there for the 150 + years that everything else has. I will post more Pics of the yard and Buildings and Grounds.It was a real PITA not just thrown in the Ground.I think I quit 4 or 5 times.
  8. Acmemechanic

A few more Photos.

Harris Ave Pond Project 003.jpg

Harris Ave Pond Project 009.jpg

Harris Ave Pond Project 027.jpg

Harris Ave Pond Project 020.jpg

Harris Ave Pond Project 042.jpg
  9. Acmemechanic

There is also a block wall creating a hidden area for the nuts and bolts of it.

Harris Ave Pond Project 043.jpg

Harris Ave Pond Project 044.jpg

Harris Ave Pond Project 045.jpg

Harris Ave Pond Project 049.jpg

Harris Ave Pond Project 063.jpg
  10. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I am with fishinman, mortar makes a pond look un natural. I am from iowa and love to do the dry stone look.
    Not trying to put you down though, I still think you did a good job on yours.