Last yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robbo521, Aug 14, 2007.

1. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

for a while.it has been 103 to 106 for the last 10 days and the grass is gone.nothing around here green.the weeds are even brown.

2. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I think we all need to meet up at the lake and just do some fishing for the next few days until we get some rain...this is my last week of mowing if we don't get any rain....I will post some pics of some lawns from today, and there is nothing....About 55% can stand to be cut again next week, but will hold off just to keep some grass on top of the dirt....Got a call from one of the Property Managers of one of my commercial account asking me to kinda play it by eye, and just make up for any missed visits during the winter....

3. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

100 degrees is rough on fescue. the bermuda here is good. We need rain everyday to combat this heat.

4. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

I wish, We are in the worst part drought here in my area...toppled with 100 plus degree weather again all this week after all last week was 100 plus....Our last rain was good rain was June 30th...haven't had any thing but a trace since then.....

5. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

yep we still 20'' behind.they said maybe 90 next week with rain.the grass over my field lines is dead.most of my yards you walk on and leave your foot print.looks as if somebody sprayed them and killed them all.

6. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

We've been in the triple digits for the last several days and no rain since sometime back in July. They have said though that it should cool off to 96 for a high this coming Friday.

How dry is it? Well, I'll put it this way... even the catfish have ticks:waving:

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Dry here as well. Crabgrass is still alive and well, however. :) Maybe the tropical storm in the Gulf will spin some moisture through the Southeast.

8. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

Here in Charlotte we have broken all types of high temperature records. We even tied the all time highest recorded temperature last week and tomorrow it will be 101. August is known as hell month around here and probably most of the se. For once I wish mother nature would throw us a bone. We have a drought in May and that stressed most of our lawns through the summer and this latest wave of heat and no rain has killed off what remaining fescue we have.

9. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Yeah we have broken a lot of records the last few days as well...Crazy, but I dont even think Hurricane Dean is even going to give us a chance of some relief....I think Texas and areas around are going to get all the rain this year....this is what I am having to deal with with my homes that don't have irrigation systems....needless to say this was the last visit this house will see until it rains....hate that my guys cut it, but they were just following directions.....Oh and they cut it with the TT....SMH....Lazy I guess....but I guess I dont blame them with it being so hot....The house on the corner is the only home in the neighborhood with Green grass...but they have irrigation so you can see the difference....Man I really think we are in trouble.....Damn high pressure....would have got more pics but it was hot, and my bttry was low on the camera...

DSCF0571.JPG

DSCF0572.JPG

DSCF0573.JPG

10. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

same here. no rain and i have not been mowing either. those are some ugly garage doors on those houses though.