1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Last year I take everyother wk act.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NNJLandman, Jun 1, 2006.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

This year due to my business growing pretty steadily and well, I learned that everyother week accounts are nothing but a hassel. For whatever reason you would think these accounts would be less problems then the every week accounts, your there half the time as weekly accounts, the lawns obviously dont look that great and the customers dont care as much....WRONG. I do have a couple of everyother weekers that are great but the majority are always complaining about something, always calling me about something, i do what I was hired to do and told them I would do but I still get the phone call, "When can you stop by so I can pay you," Like I tell all my customers you get a bill at the end of the month with payment instructions. "Can you come on Monday this week, I'm going to be home" Now why should I schedule my accounts around yours? I dropped off bills the other day and I get a call....from an everyother wker, I have your money you can stop by tomarrow I'll be home you can pick it up then.....I'm at a loss of words, why cant you mail it in like everyone else, the instructions are right on the bill, do you think I have time to do this, sure ill just drop the shovel on the several jobs i have planned for tomarrow to come over and get the money. I even lost an account, the guy wanted nothing but everyother week service, couldnt sell him on weekly....so the price went up but he would pay it, so I miss him once, he was a Friday cut, I got 5 msg's from him over the wknd which I didnt check til Monday, the day which I had planned on taking care of him, head up there and he has another company on the property already and guess what, they cut him weekly. Why are these people so hard to deal with, everyone else isnt, you just show up mow and they pay for it, every once n a while you get, I think you missed this or can you....next time or can you take a look at this and add to the bill....etc. I just dont get it, which makes me come to the point that next year I will honor this years everyothers but new customers will only be offered weekly services period.

2. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Hello , you are not the lone ranger different country same issues. Most domestic jobs here are every 2weeks. To far to go to do your 2wekly customers. Enjoy the:drinkup: on the plane though . tomo
  3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

apples to oragnes, but here almost all we have are 2 week cuts. most lawns are centipede which does not grow fast enough to justify weekly cuts unless it is in a naturally moist area (there is VERY little irrigation here) and heavily fertilized. i only have 2 weekly lawns, i wish i had your problem!
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am slowly coming to the very same conclusion. I used to think the bi-weekly clients were the very best ones to have because they didn't call to skip cuts in the spring and fall. That, and the bi-weekly clients pay a small premium per cut over the weekly rate. The problem was, I was basing my conclusion on a small sampling of bi-weekly clients...I didn't offer it my first year in the business so I had only dealt with a few of them when I came to that conclusion.

After being in the business for 3.5 years, I am now learning that bi-weekly clients:

a.) Call to accuse us of not mowing their lawn 12 days ago
    b.) Are about 75% more likely to have a decline on their credit card
    c.) Are about 50% more likely to simply cancel service in September because their lawn won't need mowing again this year
    d.) About 5,000% more likely to complain about the quality of the cut with no regards for our recommendation that the lawn be cut weekly
    e.) Wait until May to sign up for service
    f.) About 5% of them promise they won't fertilize the lawn and do it anyway and then deny it or say they "only put down a little"
    g.) Think that they should be just as entitled to Th/Fr service as a weekly client

I will add one more crew over the winter and that may be as large as I grow the business. As long as we are trying to grow, we have to take what we can get and that means bi-weekly clients. Once the schedules are 90% full, we will no longer be offering bi-weekly service. If it were just me, at this point, I would turn them down starting righting right now. The problem, I've got mouths (ie workers) to feed and that means tolerating the bi-weekly clients for the time being.

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Your problem is not with every other weekers, your problem is you are taking on customers who think of you as a lower life form, that is why they act like they are doing you a favor when you can just swing on by and pick up your money, now be a good boy Johnny, ok?
    To them, you're no better than a lap dog they can teach tricks to.

You can try and explain it to them, but at least 9 out of 10 times you're wasting your breath as they will not change their ways.

Sometimes it is in how you present yourself, but at other times it doesn't matter if you show up in a suit and tie with a chaufeured limousine that has your company's letters all over it, some folks just don't get it and still want to treat you as their lawnboy.

One part of it is, if you think their lawn needs to be cut weekly and then you agree to go biweekly, you've just bent over backwards and that sets the tone. But what I don't understand is, what is wrong with a 10-12 day schedule? What's with you guys all bent on 1 or 2 weeks, is there something the matter with understanding that a lawn's cut is scheduled in days, not weeks at a time?

If all that doesn't fix it, then as soon as I see that crap coming, I'm gone, and fast.
    But don't think that weekly customers can't do the 'come 'ere Johnny lawnboy' thing, either.