1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Last Years Seed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Keegan, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I have an opened bag of seed that I used last fall. Is the remaining seed still good this year. I had it in my garage all winter.

Thanks!!

2. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it is...

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Good with about a 2% degradation factor and its no loger certified

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Kept dry it should be fine.

5. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com LawnSite Member

A friend of mine wants to use seed that they had for 2 years... how good is that I told him not to bother. they are using it to plant a pasture.

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

germination actually goes down 10% every year it isn't used. check the test date on the bag if its within a year its still good. lets say it is and germination was 90% now the germination would be 80%.

7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Just a note that made me think. In the early 70's my dad bought a antique grass seed harvestor that was made to be pulled by a horse. We had about 2 acres of grass that was unique (South Dakota Blue Grass), and he wanted to pick it and see if it would work. We harvested about 3 years worth and quit. It grew just fine but was lots of work. Was an interesting experiment. Anyway the reason I pring this up is that we were cleaning out a shed last year and found a barrell of it from no newer than 1978. We planted it and it grew just fine.....i would call it about 50% germination. Threw it on thick thinking it would be sparse germination....grew in thick!! I think that you will be just fine with that bag.