Last Years Seed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Keegan, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I have an opened bag of seed that I used last fall. Is the remaining seed still good this year. I had it in my garage all winter.

Thanks!!

2. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it is...

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Good with about a 2% degradation factor and its no loger certified

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Kept dry it should be fine.

5. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com LawnSite Member

A friend of mine wants to use seed that they had for 2 years... how good is that I told him not to bother. they are using it to plant a pasture.

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

germination actually goes down 10% every year it isn't used. check the test date on the bag if its within a year its still good. lets say it is and germination was 90% now the germination would be 80%.

7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Just a note that made me think. In the early 70's my dad bought a antique grass seed harvestor that was made to be pulled by a horse. We had about 2 acres of grass that was unique (South Dakota Blue Grass), and he wanted to pick it and see if it would work. We harvested about 3 years worth and quit. It grew just fine but was lots of work. Was an interesting experiment. Anyway the reason I pring this up is that we were cleaning out a shed last year and found a barrell of it from no newer than 1978. We planted it and it grew just fine.....i would call it about 50% germination. Threw it on thick thinking it would be sparse germination....grew in thick!! I think that you will be just fine with that bag.