Lastec Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtkplc, Jan 23, 2008.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've been in contact with Lastec. Here is there current model listing. I hope to get pricing on each of these models as well.

61 Series Zero Turn Articulating Mowers
    Gasoline Engines
    2861AGC 28HP Kohler EFI
    2961AGC 29HP Kawasaki water cooled EFI

Diesel Engines
    2261ADC 22HP Yanmar

73 Series Zero Turn Articulating Mowers
    Gasoline Engines
    2873AGC 28HP Kohler EFI
    2973AGC 29HP Kawasaki water cooled EFI
    3573AGC 35HP Briggs

Diesel Engines

3373ADC 33HP Kubota turbo charged

80 Series Zero Turn Articulating Mowers
    Gasoline Engines
    2980AGC 29HP Kawasaki water cooled EFI
    3580AGC 35HP Briggs

Diesel Engines
    3380ADC 33HP Kubota turbo charged

100 Series Zero Turn Articulating Mowers
    Diesel Engines
    33100ADC 33HP Kubota turbo charged

2. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

I would be interested in hearing about those prices - let me know - the Lastec mowers look pretty cool. What are your experiences with them?... esp. reliability and ease of maintenance?

3. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I have the 2861 model and love it so far. I put 300 hours on it last year. You can mow over just about any change it the ground terrain without scalping. It really is a time saver. You just don't have to worry about scalping. The only downside is that on my model there is no trim edge. As far as maintenance they are just like any other mower. The belts are easy to access and the spindles all have grease zerks. I'm thinking of getting another one this year.

4. jtkplc

Pricing is only available through local dealers. Lastec said they don't give out that information.

I don't have any experience with these mowers, but if I were buying new this would be my first demo. I really have my eye on the 73" 35hp Vanguard and if they would put a say 40hp Kohler on the 100" I'd really like to try that as well. But I wouldn't pay $20K for the 100" mower with the diesel.

5. jtkplc

I also suggested to Lastec updating their website which isn't very helpful or informative. They told me to check back later on in the year (hopefully they meant spring time) and I should be pleasantly surprised.

6. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 32/61 Lastec late last summer (during our drought). It was a demo with full warranty. I've only put about 45 hrs on it since then as I only use it part time. I've been very pleased with the quality of cut AND the smooth ride. I think that the articulating deck design really smoothes out the ride on the mowers. I'd be interested to know how the ride compared to a Ferris, Bad Boy with susp., Hustler with flex forks or Dixie with susp. I'd bet that there's not much difference. I'm not sure about the dealer prices for a new Lastec but You ought to be able to get a good price on a Demo machine if you decide to go that route. Did you say that you haven't demo'ed a Lastec yet? PC

7. jtkplc

That's correct, I haven't demo-ed any Lastec mower. I looked at one at my local dealer but that's it. I might be purchasing the lawn company that I've worked for since I got out of high school within the next year or two. If that happens, Lastec will be the first mowers I look at because of their ability to be used in so many places where rigid decks of the same size (ex. 72") can't be used many places.

8. bart may

from montana

I paid $10,500 for my 2861 which was an awesome deal. It did have a 4 hours but who cares. I think they are asking around 12,000 for a new one. I think if you look around and maybe find a demo you could get one cheaper. For the engine size and the way they cut and ride they aren't that far out of the ballpark from other brands. The thing about them is that if you can fit it in an area it will mow it tighter w/out scalping and do it way faster. I love mine.

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Bart I almost bought one but I didn't get to demo the mulching kit. I demoed the 2861 side discharge and love everything about it except the lack of a trimside. Do you side discharge only or have you tried the mulching kit. I bought the Hustler instead because of the dealer and customer service. I had bad luck with the dealer carrying Lastec.

10. bart may

from montana

I just bought the mulch kit this last fall and didn't have time to put it on so I don't have any experience with it yet. I think I will install an OCDC though. That machine can really throw those clippings. All said though I love this machine.