1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lasted almost 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Apr 27, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I now know that its true, that my previous employees wasted a lot. My trimming line on my Stihl FS80 lasted exactly 12 days before it finally ran out of line today. My employees before would go through the trimming line within 3 days.
  2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

It would have lasted them alot longer, if they were paying for it.
  3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

On the other extreme of your post.

I had a helper trimming with about a inch of line sticking out. He really had that 85 turning some rpm's. Looked busy just going thru the motions. Just makes me red faced.

Are you using that .95 gator sq. stuff? Its good and lasts.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yep , I had a helper one time. It seemed that he used 5 times as much gas and line as me. And he didnt get all that much done, lol
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I buddy of mine uses hired help. When his trimmers had guards on them they were using a spool of line every day. When he took the guards off it dropped to about 1 spool a week.
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ha, I had one who used about 3 spools a day. Didn't last long, needless to say.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Very interesting.
    I asked Matt today as he was refilling the spool, "how come you use so much line?" I said, "there's a guy on ls that says he doesn't need to change it for 12 days."
    Let's just say Matt's comments are bleeped out here.
    All I know is Matt refills the spool once a day. Doing roughly 25 lawns a day. (guard on)
  8. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

I dont do much of the trimming but the line lasts pretty long for me. Although sometimes i can be wasteful of the stuff, but hey we buy the jumbo rolls anyways.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I switched from using the Stihl to Shindiawa today and that seems to go through the line a lot faster I noticed compared to the Stihl. Maybe I was lucky that I made it to 12 days though.

I was knocking out approx 11-13 lawns a day for those 12 days. So it wasn't like I was not using it. I am using gator line as well.
  10. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

It kind of depends on the applications your using it for. If your doing just residental without a lot of curbs then i'd say it should last you a long time, but if your doing a lot of commercial with hundreds of feet of parking lot and walkways then id say you'd definitely be going through a lot of line. Cemetaries are the worst for eatting up line but the $$$$ is worth it!!!