Late Aeration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawnman4, Oct 20, 2011.

1. lawnman4

lawnman4 LawnSite Member

I have a customer that I just picked up that is set on aerating this fall. My thinking is that its too late. There is a frost warning for tonight here and then it is supposed to warm up with lows in the 40s for the next week with rain chance next Wed. I don't know if the cold temps will hurt after aerating or should I just wait and not do it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

Did you overseed also or just aerate? What kind of grass is it?

3. lawnman4

lawnman4 LawnSite Member

I haven't done any of it yet, was going to do it tomorrow if it won't kill any grass. And no overseeding. It's mostly tall fescue, I know its too late to overseed here by this time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

hhmmm......

my information tells me it's never to late to aerate or overseed unless the ground is rock hard.

i know guys who have barely started aerating and overseeding.

we are doing tall fescue and kentucky blue.

5. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Aerate away. I still have more aerating to do here in NE Ohio. You'll be fine.

6. lawnman4

lawnman4 LawnSite Member

Ok thanks guys. I thought seeding should be done 6-8 weeks before frost though?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I still have a solid week of aerating left, so you should be fine.

8. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not that far from you. I aerated and overseeded a yard yesterday and I have three more to do next week. I think you can aerate anytime. As far as seed goes, I have heard of someone throwing seed on snow and it germinating when the ground warmed up. I didn't see it with my own eyes though.

9. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Ideally you want to aerate before a heavy growth period, but it won't hurt if you are overseeding as well. Worst case you have a little dormant seeding and they sprout in spring as the lawn fills back in.

Tell the customer to keep it watered twice a day and you probably will get most of it germinating this year.

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

this is true, but i dont do it past mid october usually