Late Applications

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rob Spread & Spray, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

I am in Zone 4/5. Some of my competitors start their Winterizer or Last app in September. What are you thoughts on finishing up that early when the turf is still actively growing?

How late or what temps will you keep spraying weeds?

How late or what temps will you keep ferting?

2. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

Depending on the size og your competitors in terms of # of accounts, they may have to begin their final apps. in september to finish in November.

I guess if you wait to long into November, you deal with early snow cover and can't put the lawns to bed for the year.

3. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I did fert and broad leaf weed control apps into the first week of december last season. I expect to do the same this season.

I would admit to getting behind and would have liked to wrap it up sooner.

That being said, I would aslo say those lawns that got the late apps "greened up" faster than my other lawns and were "cleaner" than any of my others relative to broadleaf weeds this spring. I did not have to do much of broadleaf weed control on them this season.

I am told the control products will continue to work only slower and you have the benefit of getting a jump on winter annuals. Relative to fert. your top growth may slowdown or stop all together but you still have activity in the root zone and the ability to store carbs prior to the soil "locking up" from a deep freeze. I would stay away from any slow release ferts for the late app. Your gonna want it asap.

It can be done, but its a little more Vegas than I like and the perception to some cutstomers may not be what you want. I'm small enough I can communicate what I am doing and why. My customers lawns look good and that helps a lot.

I actually like doing it this way but the biggest PITA is the leaves. I really do believe (so far) the later broadleaf app give you more bang for the buck and you end using less chem over time and that ties in with IPM. Any time you can reduce the amount and frequency of control products, everybody wins.

4. FINN

from PA.

Forgot to mention. I got very good control on ground ivy, wild violet, clover and wild strawberry later in the season. You can think about using ester formulations during this time with the cooler temps.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i just smother the weeds with leaves

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL Dusty.

I agree with Finn and like doing the broadleaf later in the Fall for better control of the hard to kill weeds. No leaves and I do the round in 2 weeks...With leaves and waiting for clean up turns it into 4. Just hoping for the warmer temps to continue...

7. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Rob, Sept is just alittle early, but like others said Im sure its more to do with scheduling then anything else.

I sprayed later this year then ever before. But once night temps kept getting into the 40's I stopped.

Thanksgiving is my planned finish date. Last year we got 6 inches of snow on turkey day, I still had about 30 lawns left to do. By the 2nd week of Dec the snow was gone and we got 1 pretty warm week, so I finished the lawns.

If Im done by t-day...then Im done for the year.

8. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

Not even a scheduling thing for these guys. They were done 3rd week of October. Dont get me wrong I would love to be done by then, but that means some of my clients would have their last app the 1st week of September. They would be missing out on a lot I feel.

What did those clients that got an app in December say to you?

9. FINN

from PA.

RSS,

I noticed your in Utica. I lived in the Fingerlakes for a couple of years.

Forget everything we said and get busy. LOL You have a snow season up there most folks can only dream about. Your window is a lot shorter.

10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

My last application is just a granular winterizer, so we can do about 60/day. Tomorrow is my last day of applications for the YEAR!:cool2: :cool2:
    Which is good because a bunch of storm systems are supposed to be moving in Thurs.
    A couple of aerations and I can put everything away!

I usually start winterizer apps. the last week of Oct.