1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Late callers for cleanups

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siklid1066, Apr 16, 2008.

1. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

I will be mowing in less then 2 weeks.All of a sudden Im getting these calls for clean ups.I sent out notices,even called a few clients,and now these people want work done ASAP.Mind you I sent start up notices the 1st week of March.Dealing with the public _ _ _ _ _!If you call them and they dont respond its ok,but god forbid you dont call them back in 6 hrs.:hammerhead:
  2. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Hire out a couple extra day workers if you can, You can still make some money without stressing over the scheduling of both cuts and clean ups.
  3. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

Easier said then done in NY.
  4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

learn to deal with it since we all have too, its the nature of our business. once you do you'll be more stress free.
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

they waited, and now it messes with your normal schedule, usually in other industries when people want rush jobs, or emergency service, they pay a premium for that service...bump the price 10% make the headache worth your while...
  6. Pflat1

Pflat1 LawnSite Member

I'd raise alot more than that
  7. MarcSmith

10% isn't quite a gouge, and its enough of a sting to help folks remember that you have a schedule too, 15-20% starts becoming a gouge, and it may cause folks to think, hey he's gouging me.....I may need to find a new landscaper....now if they are people who are not current clients, then the sky's the limit, but for folks who are current customers, they get cut some slack.....
  8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I sent out letters in mid February reminding everyone that winter clean ups would end by March 24th and to call us immediately to schedule their clean ups. Most people responded quickly and we got them taken care of. Then, there were the ones that called after the 24th and wanted a clean up that day. Nope....ain't going to happen. We were into mowing season at that point and the only way they would get a clean up is on a Saturday and at a higher rate. Some folks got a little pissed, others understood and in the end it all worked out. That's just the nature of this business and people.
  9. MarcSmith

once you getinto mowing, all bets are off. the weekend become the only free time, and I like have my weekends off, and then if it rains you are doubly screwed., as saturday is a push day for mowing., the only other option would be to start working 4 10 hour days, which would give you friday and saturday, but its still overtime rates.

Thankfully the time change was bumped earlier this year....