Late callers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaclawn, Sep 21, 2000.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone else have a problem with customers calling late at night? I made the mistake of having my home telephone number in the phone book, and people will call that if they get the machine on the business line. I had one call this week at 11:30. I did not make it to the phone, and the machine got it. Since it was a garbage customer that is getting dropped next season, I did something that I wanted to do for a very, very long time, give a customer a wake up call. 4:45 a.m. I told the woman that I was leaving pretty early that morning, and that her call must have been an emergency for her to be calling me so late at night. She was not a happy camper. I go to bed early, (should be there now) and get up early. What other business answer phones that late at night? Same deal goes for hoildays.
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I received a call at 10:20pm and 6:14am, both in the same weed. What do people think?

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

all my customers call my pager and get voice mail and if it sounds like something that can keep til morning i'll call then....
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

jaclawn, that's a thing of beauty!

Phoning between 8:00am and 8:00pm is fine w/ me.

When vacationing in Phoenix last year, I realized in some areas people start early: the pool guy knocked on my cousins door at 5:45am!! The homeowners thought nothing of it! The little *#^@ woke me up.
  5. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

You could ask them not to call you at your house.

"Since it was a garbage customer that is getting dropped next season..."

Why wait? What is a "garbage" customer?
  6. lawndog

lawndog LawnSite Member

How about getting a second phone line for your business
    and then only answer when you want,otherwise let them
    leave a message,also email works well.
  7. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Had a out of town customer-same time zone call at 1-2 am at least 4 times in a two week period . I ignored it and let the machine in the office take it . I was doing the lawn at her mom's house and the back yard had always been a "don't mow " . I was told now it should be mowed ,it was totally out of control -only 500sq feet, it took an hour and a half and looked like hell .
    I was going to bill her extra . Well that morn at 2 am I wake up to my office phone ringing and she is bitching me out for the crappy job . Next morn I was so mad I lost it and called her voice mail as that was all I could ever reach. I called her every name in the book using swear words , hung up and called back to repeat myself . I swear I almost had a heart attack . I now it was wrong but I would do it again. I was so bad I think she could have sued me. A pro am not I guess.
  8. Do these people realize that your business phone is your personal phone?? I have this problem also. My wife wants me to get a third line.

Seems to me that it's most of my Asian clients that do this to me. First offense I tell them not to call any later than 8 pm. Second offense, guess who is looking for another lawn care professional.

Seems ridiculous that I have to spend extra money to get piece of mind.
  9. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I won't even call friends after 9 on a work night and 10 on weekends. I have turned my ringer off on the biz line and let my machine get it . Also tellymarketheads hate a machine.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ring ring Heeeelllooo lol, this is the year 2000 isnt it? Get caller id. woohoo!! Problem solved. I too only answer the business calls between 8 am and 8 pm. Get control of your life man.