Late employees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jlmac, Nov 21, 2002.

1. jlmac

jlmac LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have a problem with late employees. Now some of these guys are salaried supervisors also. Owners: How do you deal with this? Employees: What does your employer do when you are late?

Thanks

2. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

How late are they? 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 1 hour???

3. jlmac

jlmac LawnSite Member
    from Maine

SIG: Good question. They are late anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes. Some are late 2 to 3 times a week or more. Some are on time.

4. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

Yeah I have the same problem sometimes. This is what I TRY to do....If there are more then 20mins MOST I am ready to suspend. However if it is just 5-10 I verbal warn and explain how they should be setting examples. They HAVE to understand mins are dollars to us. Also, if they are late I keep late!

5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

It's a lot easier to manage when your a hardass up front. You establish an expected behavior, and the problem seems to evaporate. We only have 2-4 employees each season, but in the last 3 years I can count on one hand the number of times any of them were late.

What do I do? The first time they are late, by even 1 second, I tell them that the work day starts at 7am. If they can't make it then, they need another job.

And usually, if they are more than 5 minutes late that first time, we've already left the yard and are on our way to the jobsite. That is usually a strong enough impression that it doesn't happen anymore.

If the behavior continues, their employment does not.

6. jlmac

jlmac LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Ok Stonehenge, I like your idea of setting the standards up front. Business can be caos if there are no standards. My problem is that it has been acceptable in the past to be late. So NOW that it is no longer acceptable they see no reason to change their behavior. Am I suppose to fire a long time employee who performs well on the job because he or she is late? How about a fine? Is that reasonable?

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

jlmack,

I agree with stonehenge TOTALLY. You have to set a precident from jump.

How to handle it now.......call a meeting of your supervisors, inform of your new late policy. Give each one of them a copy in writing and have them sign for it. DO NOT smile and joke around before, during or after the meeting, this is serious stuff. Do not explain to them the why's of why they cannot be late, this waters down your position, they are (I hope) grown men and should understand your position. Simply state the rules, answer any questions.....and if the questions start to get foolish like........"what do I do if my car breaks down?" "what if my kid gets sick?" stupid stuff like that PUT AN IMMEDIATE STOP to the meeting and go to work. This type of conversation waters down your position and makes you seem NOT serious. Obviously if your kid is sick and or your car breaks down you are still at home and you should have a home phone to call me from.

If they were late 1st time after the meeting I'd warn them STERNLY. 2nd time I'd be gone and they would not be allowed to work or collect pay from that day no matter what time they finally got to the jobsite. 3rd time FIRED.

NO EXCEPTIONS, 30 seconds to 30 minutes it's all late, and if you break down and give one person a break you'll HAVE to give all of them a break.

Be prepared to fire somebody, cuz you're gonna get tested. I'd bet my ZTR on it.

8. jlmac

jlmac LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Scott, really great info. I agree totally. Now one of my cronically lates is a supervisor, and well paid. I would not want to loose this person and that is probably why I let slide his being late sometimes. Time to lay down the law.

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Absolutely, HE'S setting the standard as it is now, NOT you. This needs to change.

10. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

If you have a concern about that specific supervisor, pull him aside before or after the initial meeting, and tell him what you're telling us, that he's a good guy for the company, but he's always late, and he may jeopardize the policy for everyone else, because if you cut him slack, you'll have to cut everyone else slack. Warn him that no slack will be cut for him.

Tell him you very much want him with the company, but you can't have anyone on board who can't live by the company rules.