1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Late Fert App

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by fall46, Oct 11, 2009.

1. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

Up in the Twin Cities first killing frost was few days ago..And now calling for snow tomorrow. I wanted to get in my fall fert of some 22-0-9 only 15-20% slow release. Be back in mid to upper 40's by mid week and upper 50's by next weekend..Is there any danger with putting down a 1lb of fert before a snow. **The ground is not frozen **

I figure this wont hurt as it will be naturally watered in as the snow melts this week proably the next day
  2. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt say danger, but here in Erie I've learned to keep my last ap light on N. Too much N and you may promote snow mold if the conditions are right.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Fall 46,
    I would say you are correct. A little snow will water it in. We had frost, 29 degrees last night. We are still planning to apply fert and weed killer for two more weeks. We expect it to be cool then warm up to near average--days about 60 and nights about 40 in October.

But I had a customer upset that I applied Oct 10, becasue she thought it would grow more and she thought her mowing company would not come back. And that she would have to pay for an extra mowing.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Right on, go ahead and drop the fert, its only Oct 11th it isn't going to stay below freezing this time of year for any length of time.

Rig your comment about the lady's mowing company not coming back....don't think so mow/blows still have several weeks of business left to do they aren't just going to shut it down because an inch of slushy snow or a couple frosts. Get a few days in the 50's and sunny and the grass still grows.
  5. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

What do you all recommend in terms of much N to apply? .50lb or 1lb per 1,000 I'm aware of too much N can lead to snow mold etc. Northern climate with following blend. Only applied pre M in spring and 1lb of 22-0-22 around the 4th

29% Aruba Red Fescue
    19% Extreme Perennial Ryegrass
    19% Caddieshack perennial
    14% Nublue Kentucky
    14% Everest Kentucky Bluegrass

To confirm 22-0- 22 to achieve 1lb of N would require 4.55lbs per 1000 correct?
  6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The fall app for Northern blend is the most important app of the year. Snow mold is gone as soon as the weather dries out, so not an issue. The grass is done growing here, but the roots are now storing up carbs for the winter. And will continue to do so until the roots system is frozen solid.
  7. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

Completely understood, but how much do you recommend per 1000 sq ft
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  8. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

4.55 = 1lb N for the 22-0-9

Different zone but recommendations here are 1 lb in October and 1/2 lb November for cool-season grasses. Snow mold not an issue around here but my program is ~4 lbs N per year - 1 September, 1 October, 1 February, 1 end of March and 1/4 ~ June-ish.

Don't know how much N you've already or plan to put down per annum.
  9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

You missed your time by almost a month
    Listen to the "snow mold" post, it (snow mold) will love you for applying N, especially slow release, this late.

it will tear that turf up, be ready for a heavy seeding program in the spring, which is not a great time to seed BTW especially if you have a hot dry early spring

save yourself money and time, leave it for spring
  10. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

The slow is a complete waste for you right now. No one knows your lawns condition. I just snuk in a 1/3lb n and I am on the fence as to weather or not it was needed........and it has been way milder here.