late fertilization question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davesgs75, Dec 26, 2000.

1. davesgs75

davesgs75 LawnSite Member

one of my best customers is asking about me putting down winter fertilizer ( wal-mart brand).
    i am in north Alabama, and winter is in full swing. would this be ok, would it hurt anything, or even would it do any good? the info on the bags recommend putting down this fert in oct-nov time fram.
    would like any help you guys can give me.

thanks

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

What temperatures are you experiencing latly?

3. davesgs75

davesgs75 LawnSite Member

temps at night hve been mostly mid 20s, day time mid 30,s to 40. have had a couple of lite snows with in the last 2 to 3 weeks.

4. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

You can put it down if you want to. However it wont do any good until the ground temp reaches 50 deg. approx. It'll give a quicker greenup in the spring though.

5. Turfdoctor

Turfdoctor LawnSite Member

If it is bermuda, total waste of fert. The last thing one wants to do is give bermuda N going into winter. If you have had snow, I assume the bermuda is completly dormant. If it is not, adding N late in fall will increase winter kill. If it is dormant, the N wont be around next May when bermuda comes back any way. I recommend 0-0-7 + Barricade on bermuda in early Sept. Potassium tends to harden off bermuda and reduce winter kill. This winter already is extremly cold for Middle TN, and I expect you are in the same boat. If lawn is fescue, the roots system will benefit and spring green up will definetly be better! I apply something like 32-3-8 in December on fescue. Apply 1.25 lbs/N/1000ft2. 30%slow release. Good luck!