Late getting started

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnMowerMan2003, May 13, 2007.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I had pretty much given up on the lawn service but decided to give it another try; now that I bought a dependable Ranger and noticed all my basic equipment is working. So now I just have to get motivated and start advertising. I guess I just need to print a whole lot of flyers and start passing them out so I can get some calls and get motivated but as usual I would appreciate any suggestions.

Since I have limited equipment now (20 inch mowers and underpowered echo trimmer) I want to target customers with small lawns as I am assuming alot of my competition has minimum charges and I should be able to compete with them on the smaller lawns than larger ones, especially if they're running a whole crew. Other than that I haven't put much thought into my marketing strategy, but I'm not giving up! So any advice ya'll have will be appreciated!

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Sounds like you are already thinking about giving up or being unmotivated. If thats true I would re-think what your about to do.

No one is going to be there that is telling you you have to go to work. Everything is up to you, and I mean everything.
  3. LawnMowerMan2003

Well, maybe I don't like people telling me what to do so I like having my own business :)
  4. greenpepper

greenpepper LawnSite Member

Owning your own business is EVERYONE telling you what to do. I agree with above may want to re-think this thing through! Why did you give up originally?
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Why not keep working for the man, save every last dollar you can put away, and wait until spring?

That way you'll have a head start, some extra cash to do it with, and get up and running at the right time.

Fall is the worst time of year to start, not to demolish your little bit of gitty up but spring is only 6 months away ...
    Always wait until the time is right I say, then POUNCE on that thang.
  6. LawnMowerMan2003

There are a number of reasons:
    1. Poor work history
    2. Misdemeanors on record
    3. Lack of skills

$6 an hour will NOT pay my bills. So I may really have no choice but to find an alternate income. I'm not strictly limited to lawns, but that's what I know best.
    Apparently, as you said Fall is coming up and I need to find some other services. I can always clean up leaves. :hammerhead: lol

Besides, having somebody dictate everything you do, when you come to work, how you do it, how much you get paid, is totally different to me from customer service. Maybe ya'll have a different opinion but I'm sure somebody understands what I meant by that statement. Anyway, I have about 15 customers now so it will be a better year next year; San Antonio doesn't have a very long winter. :)
  7. Indatreez

Indatreez LawnSite Member

never say die! always push on threw the bad times. it seems like you like being the boss rather than someone being your boss so get out sum fliers and such,do sum leaf clean ups or fall cleanup for now till spring time.