Late model Toro 2 cycle 21" ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, so give me the skinny. I know many of you praise these 2 cycle Toro 21" mowers. I don't use a 21" enough to justify paying brand new prices. So, I will be going to have a look at a used one. It must be a late model but I don't know how late. It is a 5hp (not 5.5hp) self propeled 2-N-1 with blade brake....

How long ago did they make the 5hp? What things do I need to pay close attention to when checking out one of these that is used?

THANX

2. Envy Lawn Service

Well....I thought so anyways....you all switched brands?....hello....somebody...

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

According to the Toro Master Parts Viewer for the 22043 BBC commercial 21", they went from a 4.5 HP in 2000 right to a 5.5 in 2001.

How much are they asking?

4. it was rated at 5 horse when i bought my first one in 1989..then in the ninties sometime it got rated it at 4.5 ...then 5.5...all three the same engine i was told by my mechanic.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Well, it's one of those deals where they guy says come take a look and make me an offer. Sounds like it could be a fairly 'late' model. But this one has only seen homeowner use and all the 2 stroke ones are commercial grade right? Hummm...?

Rick, how far back does that parts viewer go? From what I gather from Odin, the mower could be 10 years old? I could get there and it could be in really great shape, I buy it and then find out I can't get parts or whatever.... Then again it might not matter if it has really been the same machine for years.

6. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I have a toro 21inch pro with the 2stroke. Its the exmark with toros name. For the price I paid for it I expect a lot more. I picked up a used lawn boy with a 2 stroke 4 horse engine and think it cuts much better- payed 40 bucks compared to 700.00. If you are baging it cuts great. The design of its side discharge chute sucks. It clogs very easy and tends to clump the grass with the slightest bit of wetness. I then have to either remow or blow the clumps. It also weighs a ton and is very well built and is self propelled, but so what if it causes me more work. The lawn boy is very light and is propelled by me, which can be a pain on that last lawn of the day, but it cuts great with a gator blade and if it clogs it will sit on its rear so its easy to clean out. How ever if you are bagging the lawnboy would not be the one for you. It all depends on what you plan to do with it.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I believe the parts viewer goes back to 1992. So the machine you're looking at could be 15 years old or so. Not too big an issue IF it is in good shape.

I wouldn't worry too much about parts if it is in fact the commercial model. They don't seem to have changed much at all over the past 20 years.

Toro did make a 2-stroke homeowner machine several years back. They may not be quite as durable as the commercial machines, but they are definitely much more solid than the newest homeowner machines. IOW, it would probably be sturdy enough depending on how much you use a 21".

8. Only change i can see since 89 was the recyc ler kickers under the deck .

9. Envy Lawn Service

Well, hopefully I'll get down to check it out in a day or so...