1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Late night phone calls

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Uranus, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Don't you love the phone calls that come in after say 8:00 pm from people looking for service. I have an ad in the local paper right now and keep getting phone calls between 8 and 10 pm. Good thing I put my cell phone number in the paper. I also had a regular customer call the other day pissed off about his cleanup price at 9:15 pm. Do they really think I want to work from 7 am to 10pm? WTF. I had several call like this in the past year. I don't answer them but it is still annoying. Care to share your stories?:realmad:
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'll answer until 9, but if they call after that they get a call @ 7:30 the next morning. My regular calling hours are 8 - 8.
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i had a guy call at 930 to tell me his driveway was getting seal coated and not to come for a couple days i need an office line and not my cell phone
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Just be thankful that he called you.

I used my house phone number for the business only because I didn't want to pay for an extra line in case I didn't make it on my first year. I'll get a business line soon for 07. I dont answer the phone after 7:30 or 8. I dont mind the 7:01 am phone calls but the late calls interrupt my kids schedule. I have a 2 and 4 year old kids. Youngest goes to bed around 8 and I'm not going to run around the house every night and morning turning on and off ringers.
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I dont mind getting calls at any time as it usually means $$$. The calls I dont like is when you are mowing or whatever and have to shut down the machine and stop and spend 5 mins talking, only to find out you are not gonna get the job anyway.
  6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

The latest call that I have received from a complete stranger wanting an estimate was at 11:45. No Joke:hammerhead: We all love things that are open 24 hours right?:laugh:

It is definately not uncommon for the old people to call before 7:00 AM though.:sleeping:
  7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I got you beat, 11:49 for me.:)
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on what kind of service we are talking here! For some things i'm open 24/7. My phone is within reach of my bed, if they need me that bad i'm sure it's important, lol
  9. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i love when dad wants me to help him he calls me 5:45am and honastly thinks that i am going to remember the materal list he rattles off to me. then always asks "you ain't still asleep are you?"
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure what the problem is...ever stop to think these people were intending to leave a message??????? I don't think anyone expects someone to answer a business phone late in the evening.

I get calls past 9pm...I never answer as they are not expecting me to answer...