1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Late night phone calls

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Uranus, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

all of you have been beaten....1:45am for an emergency service call

2. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

We once got a call around 2am from a customer however, my office is not at my home so they can call as late as they want. We dont know that they call until the next day were at the office

3. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Lots of people call businesses after they are closed, expecting to get a machine or even an answering service. I answer my phone aftr hours anyway as a customer service. (not if I'm asleep though)

4. F&SLawnCo

F&SLawnCo LawnSite Member

I have actually had a customer (local plastic surgeon) call me at 2:30 in the morning and offer me 5 times the normal cut price ($120.00) to come do a late night/early morning service because he had old college buddies coming in on a redeye flight that he wanted to impress. I sure am glad I answered my phone that night. Made $600.00 plus $100.00 tip for cutting my normally $120.00 lawn.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

HAHA, wow...hopefully your stripes were straight

6. mowerman111

mowerman111 LawnSite Senior Member

We run the business out of home and have a seperate line, but we also have caller ID which helps alot. yeah most people are expecting to just leave a message when they call that late.

7. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I tell my customers to call me anytime. I usually have my phone on until 9:00pm or until I go to bed. Then I just shut it off and if I have messages I return them after 9:00 am unless they specifically ask to be called earlier.

8. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I guess thats the one nice thing about an offsite office. Cant hear the phone ringing 20 minutes away...lol

9. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

Well this late night call for me was a little different. It was about 10:15p.m., the neighbor was home late by her self. She's about 10 years old. She called me up and said "Andy can you come over and help me really quick?" So of course I said yes. Then I got in their, she led me to her bathroom and said "it kind of over flowed." She put too much TP in their, so I had to plunge the toilet. Although I am our neighborhood president. Long story. But yah, has anybody had any of them calls.

10. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

I won't answer my phone after 6:30pm, I have an answering machine if it's that important you can leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible. (or convenient)