1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Late night phone calls

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Uranus, Dec 5, 2006.

1. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Same as I was thinking....

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i got a call at 2:30 in the am about a year and a half ago from a regular customer. she called the shop line first then looked my home number and called it to talk about a treee that lost some leaves the day before in a thunderstorm. wanted to know if i would be there that day to clean up the leaves.

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you Hoolie. I let them leave a message if they call past 9pm. Then i call people back 7am during the summer hours and 8am during winter hours

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Please leave a message,
    Thank you.

5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I just turn the cell to vibe and let it ring away, won't even come close to waking me.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I've had customers call at 2:00-3:00 in the morning namely this old guy, he would call EVERY WEDNESDAY morning about 2:30 during a drought we had, to tell me not to cut it this week "it's too dry" needless to say I dropped his AZZ like a hot piece of steel.

7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Just leave the machine on.....people dont always realize that the phone is ringing in your house......Ive left businesses messages at some weird hours myself

8. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't get a ton of calls anytime really, but my dad has been in the HVAC biz for 35 years. It seems like we'll always get weekly emergency calls at 2-4 am to fix someone's garage heater that went out on a 60 deg. night. We had the cops called on us while eating breakfast one sunday morning- because we didn't answer the phone for a PITA customer that had called 10 min. earlier. the cops got us down:cry: there and wouldn't ya know it, we had fleas on us for a week afterwards and an unpaid bill for months. Gotta love "emergency service".

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

who the heck would use their heat in 60 degree weather. Thats nice sleeping with the window open weather. I dont turn the heat on unless its below 50-55, sometimes cooler.

10. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

I don't answer the biz number after 7 PM and never before 8 AM .However,I've had customers call up to 10PM. When someone calls late at night,I ASSUME that they just want to leave me a message because they are busy and don't want to get tied up on the phone. I never answer the phone while mowing unless I'm expecting the call.........voice mail was invented for a reason :)