Late Paying Customer!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LoneStarLawn, Sep 12, 2000.

1. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that has a very little yard that we do for $20 each cut (10 for the front and 10 for the back) The back can only be cut when he is home since the only access is through the garage ..its a garden home. Anyways, the customer is paying his bill a month behind (30 - day delinquent). My partner ignores his messages lately because he has been so behind. Should we:

A: Keep the customer as a a prepaying customer.
    B: Drop the account all together.
    C: Return his call after the third message (Since he's late paying we should be late calling)
    D: Or forget the whole thing and accept that he is going to pay late.

Thanks in advance

2. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

First if the customers call you i think you should call right back.Find out why he is behind.work with him if you wnat to keep his bizz.he's always 30 past due,if you want him see if he can make a payment for a month and a 1/4 or amonth and a half maybe he's calling you to tell you what is problem is. Does he know he's behind? if you keep him or not its your choice.But here in ga if a home owner owes money on services done to the property and its not a lot of money or if it is and you were going to take the lost you can file a labor lein with the city that way even ten years later you'll get the money rather than not.just my thoughts.

3. LoneStarLawn

Past due on the statement should be an indication of being late. Plus he only calls when he has paid up.....He knows he's late...

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

It might be harsh but we stop sevices till we get paid not to let them aqure a larger bill that then they wont pay

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Its your turn to play hard ball. This customer has no problem calling you (complaint,or any other problem) so now you should (the next time you talk to him) say hay you know that your a little late with your last payment. If this customer decides to complain about any little nagging thing after paying you, than I would personally drop them like a hot potato. Let the next guy that cuts thier grass deal with his crap.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe on thing that causes him to be behind is that he gets a little upset because his calls aren't returned. Your upset because he hasn't paid. Maybe its just miscommunication.

7. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

30 days is nothing if you think hell pay just keep on him.He isn't going anywhere.When he gets 60 or 90 days then shut him off and start calling reguarly and bill w/intrest there is money to be made here.

8. LoneStarLawn

1. Late payers will always be late....eventually he'll be 90 - days behind ...don't want to get there.
    2. He only calls after he has paid in full....we just got the two calls from him over the weekend (closed on weekends) and one today...we will return the call tomorrow. He has been very late twice before today....this is the first time we haven't been prompt on calling him back.
    3. If a customer is getting us back for not being prompt on returing calls by paying late...that is definitely a customer I do not won't. No miscommunication there.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Of couse, if all else fails, go to his house to collect the check.

[Edited by 65hoss on 09-13-2000 at 04:03 AM]

10. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

another thought,when he calls go to his home and collect.when he calls back for service go up on price i hate firing cutomers.and make him pay per service in advance
    cause it sounds like you don.t really want to drop him?