Late pays

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I had a few cust that were late (30, 90 and 2 @ 120!!!) And I was telling mowerman90 this and he caled me a name ...it was about training your cust. This is my first year and I dont want to make waves and lose them so....reluctantly I took mowerman90's advise and gave them all cancellation notices for non-payment. It worked out well, got paid for one by Credit card over the phone on the spot and the two sent a check. The third is a property management company....still fighting that one. The moral of the story is don't let them get over 10 days late, or they will start to think its no big deal and do it time and time again.

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I have a long time customer that always pays late. Heck, I have a few of those. This particular customer has been excessively late this year. So I finally sent a cancellation notice. I got paid for August's statement, but not September. I haven't mowed her all month. She finally called and when I talked to her, she was mad I hadn't mowed. I explained to her I needed all the money she owed me, and a month ahead to resume mowing. She became even more angry and said that I had always let her pay late in the past! So I told her that was over and done with and to pay the amount required if she wanted me to resume.

So now I have renewed my determination to not let ANYONE slide on paying. Even veteran customers.

:D

3. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

try having these accounts
    pre-pay cash in hand
    before mowing

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have many accounts that get 30 days of over past due. Usually what they do is wait until they receive two invoices and then send out the check.
    I basically let me go because I am still getting paid. I know that I shouldn't be like this, but I figure since they are signed up on full service packages then I let me do it. Others that are not signed up on full service packages, I am on them like a hounddog on a coon:D

5. Tbarchaser

from Florida

All of my accounts are pre paid, bill on the 20th, due by 1st of the month to be serviced,
    late by the 10th...and service stops. So I am only out 1 or maybe 2 mowings.

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

How do you handle if a customer wants an extra cut or other service for the month that they prepaid in? If you are having that much problem with a typical payment method maybe those customers aren't worth having. We always have some late payers but they always pay the late fee too.

7. Tbarchaser

from Florida

If they want anything above and beyond standard maint I just hand them and invoice when I am done, paid on the spot.

Also I am talking 3-4 lates out of 55. So its not that bad. It's my first season so I need to weed the bad ones out.