Late Season Advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bbhlawn, Aug 4, 2004.

1. bbhlawn

bbhlawn LawnSite Member

Many have asked I know but I would like to know what has been the tried and true method for most for late season advertising.
    Whether it be fall/leaf clean-up to getting new lawn customers signed up. We are just sending out the first round of commercial letters trying to drum up that end.

We have done very well with flyers and word of mouth, but there is always room for improvements. I haven't even entertained the idea of a yellow page ad, but maybe next year. It's our second year full time in business and it has been a great year so far, but I would like to get a big bang for my buck to close out he season. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Black95gt

Black95gt LawnSite Member

I am thinking of a yellow pages add. Does anybody know how much that costs? I want to run an add with description but heard a rumor that it costs like $1000. Is this true? I would pay $100-$200 for a small add.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi bbhlawn,

How about trying out some yard signs to advertise?

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Try leaving some business cards or flyers on doors of houses close to existing customers. Chances are they've seen your good work already, so your foot's already halfway in the door.

I'm thinking about flyers for fall leaf removal, unfortunately most of my customers live in very new houses without many trees.

5. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

So, Hoolie, sounds like you have the opportunity to plant some trees! Then in a few years, do the leaf jobs, right? Kind of like a guy I know, that sells topsoil. He will buy a piece of property, take off all the topsoil, sell the topsoil, then sell the piece of property to developers. Then, after they start building the new subdivision on this same property...you guess it....he sells them topsoil from the next piece of property he has bought! Pretty sweet deal, don't you think?

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I need to encourage tree planting, not only for the leaf revenue but to give me some SHADE when I'm mowing. Some days I just travel from one blast furnace to another. Most of my customers homes are 10 years old or less, with many under 5 years old.

Maybe your topsoil man could give some pointers on tree planting?

7. bbhlawn

bbhlawn LawnSite Member

Actually I'm looking at some yard signs on Ebay. I have a couple of nice wooden ones that I will place this weekend after I finish a sod job. The ones on Ebay are $104.00 for 10 with stakes, but I also found 50 for 195.00 with stakes. Just trying to figure if they are worth it or not. I mean for 200 bucks I should probably just go with the 50. I'm saving the wooded ones for the high end customer areas.

Thanks Team Gopher

8. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

bbhlawn, where did you find this on ebay? I can't. I only found 2 for 35 small ones or 50 for 395. Send me a link and I will jump on it.

Sam

9. bbhlawn

bbhlawn LawnSite Member

The item number is 5914187690. I'm going to go with the 50 myself just because of the price break. I hope they create some inquires.

That number is for the 50 for 195 bucks.