Late Season Fertilizer Application

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by johnap104, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

What percentage of the total seasons N are you putting down now?

Do you have a link for that study BTW...?

Posted via Mobile Device
  2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

No utilization after Oct 10?? I don't buy that whatsoever for northern turfgrasses.
  4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Read the article. It doesn't say no utilization, just poor utilization. Fertilizer is expensive, I want yo make sure that I get the most bang for the buck.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. g&MWorkslandscape

g&MWorkslandscape LawnSite Member

I am from NY and was going to put a turf builder down in October and recommendations on what to use??
  6. johnap104

johnap104 LawnSite Member

Not to hijack my own thread but what are you gentlemen's opinions of what time a year to apply the pre emergent crabgrass fertilizer in spring? I was told by my supplier to not apply the pre emergent fertilizer until the temperatures are consistantly around 70 degrees. I guess because it could be used up too early before the crabgrass emerges. I was reading some of the University of WI literature entitled " Wisconsin Lawn Care Calendar". They suggest applying a pre-emergent herbicide in April to established lawn. They don't suggest applying a fertilizer until around Memorial and recommend a controlled or slow release formulation.
  7. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with no fertilizer until May and then much of it in slow release form (prefer MESA). This assumes fertilizer was used late Summer/early Fall. For pre-emergent, get a soil thermometer. Start looking for opportune conditions to apply when soil temp reaches 50 and get it put down by the time it reaches 55. Better yet, find and follow a university GDD Tracker web site for your location.

Full disclosure: I rarely use pre-emergents for CG myself.
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It is about time that the "Scholarly" thinking caught up with the real world... I noticed on lawns that were definitely faded, when I applied Oct. 3rd the grass changed color; the lawns applied on Oct. 23rd that year,,, received no visible benefit, even though the grass was green all winter...
    Much has been discovered since then...

As far as putting down "Slow-Release" and the prills surviving Winter,,, Is that any different from a new Spring App. of N when it rains???
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I put down a high percentage all mineral fert my last app in Oct. I also don't buy that slow release prills survive till spring. And the 21-0-21 fert that most apply as winterizer, nah.
  10. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Well....from what I gathered from reading there is the disparity of the HEAVY 65%-75% of the seasons nitrogen goes down while the turf is still green [not to be confused with winterizer] cited by various universities vs what the author's cite in this.... NOT so much in the Winterizer angle....

I do wonder what the same authors believed about Fall aeration vs. Spring...?

Not trying to muddy the water here but one of my accounts had very limited fertilizer input in 2012 and the grass was left in the 3.5"-4.0" range over winter. Okay 4.5" over the majority of the 2012 season. Thus the roll of extra photosynthesis from September through November and its total my belief"... a huge shot in the arm in the vitality and vigor of the turf for 2013.

In my area homeowners and contractors are dramatically dropping mowing heights because common wisdom seems to dictate this...:confused:
    Posted via Mobile Device