1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Late season potassium nitrate app & brown patch

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by ArTurf, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

HYDRO means water and you want to shoot wet compost on top of living plants? You didn't put your thinking cap on.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

TAMU ran studies on compost vs Peat on TARR.

4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I was referring to peat (the original hydroseeding mulch element), not compost. And it was considered that a tackifier would not be added.

I should add that in my haste I may not have donned my thinking cap, you are correct. Or it could be that when you donned your surly cap, you may have dropped your reading and comprehension glasses. :laugh:*trucewhiteflag*:drinkup:

5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

/\ meant as a little light ribbing among friends, sir.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

No Problem on the Ribbing, I have more than enough senior movements. My thinking Cap isn't always on either. But once again you want to spray wet Peat on top of growing Plants????? Am I missing something here????

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

How many apps of preventative do you put down? If more than one, at what intervals?

8. Trueturf

Trueturf LawnSite Member

"Soluble nitrogen fertilizer applications, greater than 1.1 pounds of actual nitrogen per 1000 sq. ft. put the turf at risk."
    "Avoid excess soluble nitrogen during November-April"
    Pulled this from a University of Florida Extension Agent's article.

Sounds like it shouldnt hurt you to bad.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

First our Climates are totally different as are Our soil. What works for me might not work for you. Or because I have a Year round Growing Season and soil My treatments might be a Over Kill for you.

I do between 6 and 8 treatments on Turf a year depending on the customer. Sept I will start my preventative Fungicide because it is Traditionally Sept 15th that our nights turn to the Lower 70's. (But Not this year) Remember Brown Patch is also Heat Sensitive. While Brown Patch is present in the summer, The high canopy Temperature of Summer suppress Brown Patch. BTW Sometimes called Winter Patch and now it is called Large Patch.

To me It is more important to study the Life cycles of Pests than it is to look at chemicals. By knowing your Climate and major known pests and when they express themselves, You have the upper hand. Chemicals Come and Go, but the Life Cycles stay the same. It is the Diagnosis of the problem that is the Problem in most cases. Once your Diagnosis is correct there is Standard Protocol for treating it. I not use IPM but I do use BMP (Best Management Practices) The big difference is I treat more Preventively than IPM or I pay Materials.