Late start this year...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Apr 1, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Well I thought this upcoming week would be the start of all regular cuts, but we are still doing a couple here and there, looks like another week....about a month behind last year....In Southern Indiana
  2. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

Grass is still short and brownish green here. Hopefully todays rain and a warm up this week will get it growing. I had already started last year at this time. Oh well I need time to finish clean-up anyways. Although I would much rather be mowing.
  3. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I started cutting a few the last week in March and I was doing them all by the 2nd week in April. This year I'm probly not going to start for another 1-2 weeks. I just started cleanups last week. The grass is starting to green up here in Jersey but the only thing growing are the weeds.

Thats ok though, in a couple weeks the grass will be growing so out of control it's not even funny. The late start is giving me a chance to start some landscape projects, thats where I make money.

[Edited by little green guy on 04-01-2001 at 09:11 PM]
  4. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

I was mowing last year this time. But, not this year. Going to be a late start. Have alot of other work to do though. Clean ups and such.
  5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

from my book, i'ma week behind last year, not good, all the clean-ups were done a week ago, i busted so hard for 2 weeks that i have nothing to do now. man i'm sad.
  6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

here I have the same problem. Grass is still very brown. Heck we havent even had a 60 degree day yet. I will probably start 1 - 2 weeks later than last year.
  7. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Grass is still brown and still have an occasional frost! This week is looking alot better....Over 70 degrees for almost the whole week!
  8. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

YEs, they have high 60s and 70s here this week with some rain, should help. The grass just isnt growing yet!
  9. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

We are vry late to start in Minnesotat too. A good month in my parts(north Central). I guess there isn't anything you can do about it, just gives you more time to get everything ready for the first cuts. I'm anxious though.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Here in SC the temps have fluctuated alot. I am behind last years income too. Should be close to 80 by midweek and then get things growing better. Middle of march the weeds were growing like crazy then we hit cold spells and the growth slowed. Seems the whole country is cooler than last year at this time. I will take cool weather over drought anytime. In may is when the drought started.