Late Start This Year

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jsprouse, Jul 9, 2007.

1. jsprouse

jsprouse LawnSite Member

I am looking at starting a lawn mowing business here in East Texas. This is late in the season to be just starting up.

If I do, what other services can I offer throughout the rest of the year to keep business coming in?

(It doesn't snow here.)

Thanks,
    Jim

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch,flower bed clean-up and trimming of hedges and shrubbery.

3. jsprouse

jsprouse LawnSite Member

Never done Mulch. It's easy enough right? Any how-to tips?

4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

You've played in the dirt before as a kid ? LOL Its not that difficult,there are plenty of mulch websites to help you as well as this forum. Just type in mulch and read the post. Ask always how thick the clients would like the mulch,dont just pile it on. To much mulch can kill plants and trees it can sufficate them.

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

It is really late to to be starting. If i were you i would do a little more studying of the industry and services, (advertising,regulations) and get everything ready to start next spring. Good Luck! Anythining you want to know is prolly on this site.

6. jsprouse

jsprouse LawnSite Member

I think I will just start up in the spring, but for future reference what are some others services I can do during the fall and winter months?

7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

Overseeding and those wonderful Leaves LOL.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I think I know where Hawkins is. I'm West of Houston.

your area being like mine you will need to decide what types of jobs your gonna take on.....

I have about 3 1/4 acer lots. what you would find in the city's,
    most of mine are quite large, up to 10 acers,

this will determine your equiptment. your location "like mine" there is NO such thing as winter, we just have a little break,
    this is the best time to do pruning and tree trimming, I dont do tree trimming, nor do I do beds, I just dont. all's I wanna do is cut grass,

With the season we've had this year I dont expect to even see a small break durring the winter months.

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

winter work ? ah that is what Florida is 4, nothing like haveing 5 plow trucks out while you lounge on the beach with a ice cold drink....

10. jsprouse

jsprouse LawnSite Member

bohiaa,

About when is this small break normally? Nov - Jan?

I really would like to just do mowing and not all the other stuff, but I don't want to go broke in the winter months either.

I live in a rural neighborhood in East Texas just north of Tyler, TX. I would like to mow mainly in the affluent neighborhoods nearby which have a wide variety of lawn sizes.

I guess given my warm climate in my location it would not really count as a "late start" huh? I was thinking I might be able to start anytime I got ready to.