Late summer app product?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ron mexico75, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it work good on broad leaves? The yards I do really don't have sedge issues. I mean, I guess they could at some point. The biggest concern is crab that breaks through my 2 desperate pre apps of barricade and dimension. Not ever too bad but it does happen. Also some other grassy weeds in August before getting ready to aerate, seed in September.

You think solitaire should be the choice after reading my thread and what I'm looking for?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ron mexico75

Ha! Might have to swing past my supplier and check that out. Reminds me of this skit if it is in fact that tiny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfErgtpIz18

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't have sedge issues then why use q4? Go with drivexlr8 or generic drive. Mid summer you should have minimal broadleaf weeds.

4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I use a regular 3-way only. It's only a 7 day wait for reseeding. By the time seeding gets here temps are cooling off and he may have had some cold nights. Since we are scalping the lawn prior to fall seeding we let the short mow height and hopefully cool weather keep crabgrass and sedges from coming back.

5. ron mexico75

You're right as far as not having many broadleaves in August. The Q4 does help with grassy weeds in addition to the crabgrass that's why I like it (used to like it.) I see the Drive XLR8 controls several types of grassy weeds as well as some limited broadleaves.

I guess prior to spraying, I could do some walk arounds and if needed, do a Drive XLR8 and speedzone combo? I know that wouldn't knock out any sedge so if sedge was observed I could always go back with sedgehammer I guess.

The solitaire looked quite intriguing but it has that 30 day wait time. Maybe I'm over thinking this. I just like to have a plan lined up well in advance.

Some of these properties I cut and I am there weekly. Others, its just fert, pre and post emerg. so I'm not there as often and don't really have as clear of an idea as to what's going on regularly. I guess doing some more walk arounds in between tratments could help me decide on which chemical or combo of chemical to decide on depending on what I observe.

6. ron mexico75

Yeah, but with the regular 3 way it is just for broadleaves. With the 2 step braodleaf pre emerg I apply in Spring, I have very, very limited weeds. It seems more of the crab, barnyard or "other grassy weeds" are the ones I'm looking to treat in early August.

A lot orf the properties the homeowner cuts so I don't have control over cutting it short and hoping for control that way.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion is to use two products. Speedzone in your left hand and Drive in your right. You need two sprayers of course. I am still waiting for someone to invent a sprayer capable of spraying two different products. Why spray broadleaf chemical on crabgrass, and crabgrass killer on broadleaves?

Also you may be able to cheat just a bit on the minimal time limits before seeding.
    Last August I tried seeding after spraying with Lesco Eliminate (like Horsepower).
    I found that the new seed did Ok if sown after 72 hours.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  8. ron mexico75

Yeah I hear you. Might just have to wear the back pack with Drive XLR8 and a handheld with Speedzone.

9. ron mexico75

Anyone else have suggestions or does that sound like a plan?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ron mexico75

anyone else?