Lateral Growth

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Drake, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Drake

Drake LawnSite Member

I have areas of (Bitter Blue) St Augustine and Centipede in my yard in NW Florida. Neither grass, over the course of spring, summer and fall, has shown significant lateral growth along the ground. I'm following the cultural practices suggested by the University of Florida. I don't believe the culprit is a bug, water, mowing height, sunlight, temperature, over fertilizing or a chemical spill. Likewise I'm not trying to grow grass over buried tree stumps, concrete, old tires, sunken ships or abandoned cars. The grass seems healthy and looks OK. It just isn't spreading. Soil is sandy, drains well and isn't compacted. Limited/no lateral growth is not restricted to one or two areas but appears to be universal. I'm not getting the turf to fill in bare spots. I solicited thoughts on another turf forum, but received hypotheses that I feel are not relevant to my situation. Any thoughts here?:

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you had a soil test done? You may need to adjust the ph ...

3. Drake

Drake LawnSite Member

Thanks Jeff. I haven't done a soil test in a couple of years. Guess it is time to check the numbers and see if they give me a clue. Thanks again

Bill Drake
    Niceville FL
    :blob3:

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

NP Bill ... good luck!