1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lateral Pipe Sizes

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BrasiliaFlyer, Aug 11, 2010.

1. BrasiliaFlyer

BrasiliaFlyer LawnSite Member

Hello, just a quick question for the pros on this forum...
    I am a homeowner installing my own system on an acre. I want to make the system as robust as possible. The pressurized secondary irrigation system comes through a 2" valve, and averages 55psi, but can drop into the low 40's on occasion. Because of this, I have added more zones with a lower gph requirement, and plan on running two at a time when the pressure is good, but maintain the ability to run one at a time if the pressure and volume ever drop significantly. I have read the irrigationtutorials.com site and the Rainbird design handbook completely.

Originally, I planned on using 1-1/4 inch sch 40 laterals going down to 1" for each head. I know its probably overkill for a 13 gpm zone, but I want to minimize the pressure loss as much as possible, and allow me the flexibility to add larger nozzles if I need to. Both reference sources say that there is virtually no downside to using a slightly larger than required pipe.

Well, then I was at the local irrigation supply house, and the guy said that you must always maintain at least 2 fps inside the pipe to scour away gunky buildup inside the pipe. Irrigationtutorials.com never mentioned this, but if true I am looking at 1" and 3/4" (even 1/2"!) laterals.

So, the question is: has anyone ever heard of this 2 fps requirement, or is this guy drinking the same kool-aid as the guys who say that you'll lose pressure if you go to a larger pipe?

Thank you for your time, and for contributing to this great resource!

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Never heard of that before. But we don't get a lot of gunky water unless it is from a well. I doubt drip systems are flowing at that rate, and I don't see problems with what they are describing.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you got gunk, then use Maxipaw heads, which function well at lower pressures.

You can avoid the loss of a psi or two by not using any swing pipe connections, but that's a pain unless you run poly pipe.
  4. BrasiliaFlyer

Good point!
  5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I have never heard of a minimum fps require to scour gunk from a pipe.

Now, gunk from my ex's trunk - that requires a whole hell of a lot more than 2 fps.

Personally, if all you are working with is 13 gpm, I'd stay with SDR 21 1" pipe for everything, lateral and main and design/install to the lowest sustained volume and pressure. The safest bet is to assume the worst and install for it.
  6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never heard of 2 fps requirement. Also, larger lateral pipe not will make a noticeable difference compared to 3/4. Go for the bigger pipe.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

put in 5-inch pipe, just to be safe :p
  8. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

5" ?
    We use 6". A lot less friction loss but it does take longer to blow out.
  9. BrasiliaFlyer

My pressure loss would be 0 with 5 inch pipe... Unfortunately the budget won't allow for it (fittings are just too much for my cheap arse).

Anyway, thanks for the tips here. I've decided to go with 1-1/4" laterals, with 3/4" branches (to each individual head). Figure with only 2-4 gpm per head, the 3/4 will be fine, and actually save quite a bit of money.

Seriously though, I appreciate getting the insight from the pros on this forum. Thanks for your valuable time.
  10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Go 1" everywhere. The guy who ends up servicing it 10 yrs from now will not hate you for it.