1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Latest date to plant trees n shrubs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by eruuska, Aug 11, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

In Zone 5 (NW Indiana), what's the latest advisable date to plant trees n shrubs? Got a customer who wants a new bed and a couple trees installed, but doesn't have the spare loot at the moment. He may have it in a few weeks, but then we're running out of time in the year.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No actually in a month your just starting planting time,My Fall planting season beggins in late Sept and goes tell there is snow on the ground usually December.Then I plant from Late March thru mid June and stop for the hot summer.That is MY planting schedual anyway.The books will tell you .you can plant out containerized plants and tree's anytime of year,But I avoid the hot summer and when very wet and freezing temps.I am not sure why you are saying you are running out of time it should be beggining your Fall planting season where you are.or it will be in a few weeks?

very wet or snow
  3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

There's a real good reason that I'm saying that: Because this is my first season in the biz and I'm an idiot. :waving: At least when it comes to some aspects of the green industry. Otherwise I'm reasonably brainy.

Thanks for the info, you've probably just gotten me more work this fall!
  4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Call your local extension office and see what they can tell you. Usually their information is most accurate for your locality. And while you are researching, check the local vocational schools and colleges to see what horticulture and landscape programs they offer for professionals over the winter, The small investment in time will reap a huge benefit in your abilities and professionalism.