1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Latest feat in my little truck (box)

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Isobel, May 25, 2008.

1. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I run a Ford F250 long bed as the muscle of my business. But with fuel costs being what they are, this year I've been using my little box as much as I can. My little box is a 2007 Honda Element.

The other day I impressed myself by getting 39 plants into the back of my Element, including a 5' Japanese Holly, and a 5' Enkianthus.

Nothing broke, no flowers were ripped off, and best of all, nothing to tarp down.

I love it!
  2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What kind of gas mileage? Make everything in one trip?
  3. Isobel

i did make everything in one trip. I generally average about 25 mpg doing a combination of city and highway driving.
  4. FANS

FANS LawnSite Member

This months Fine Home Buidling has an article from a guy in Toronto Ont CA using an Element for his home improvement business. He tells how he built in a couple of sliding drawers and a deck to hold his ladders and such. Pretty interesting.

I always thought you could get a plywood deck built and hold it down to the seat latch points on the floor then build a head board behind the drivers seat to keep stuff from sliding forward. Only problem is with the spare tire if you have a flat.

Love mine though - 2004 (Feb 12 2004 build date delivered Feb 20), 70,000 + miles currently and soup to nuts it only costs about $0.165 per mile to run since the beginning - even with almost $4.00 gas...

Always wonder what I'll buy next and it generally comes up as another Element. Does need a bit more power though....
  5. Isobel

I hear 2008 is the last model year of the Elements... At least that's the word over on EOC.

Just the other day when my 250 started giving me problems, I put a yard of mulch into the back of my Element... Wasn't ideal, but it let me get the job done!
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a little 2008 Ranger with the 2.3 last month. I need the F350 roughly 500 miles per month, the rest of the time I was just wasting gas when I could have been using something smaller. I drive almost entirely in town, and so far the worst tank on the Ranger was 4mpg over the EPA city rating. I'm almost positive when I fill it later today, this tank will be 28mpg.