Latest Market Trends

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Eden Lights, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone using the latest products and wish to share some feedback: Led's, Xenon lamps, UPB controls, & etc.

2. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

I just had a LED spot light designed for me by a manufacturer (I can't mention or it will be taken off the board) that I am very excited about. 3000 kelvin, 20 degree spread 12 watt, voltage regulated, and annodized. I am specifying it on a huge job. I had 5 manufacturers attempt the product. Most of them came real close, the one we decided on is a beast though.

And, oh man, I can't think of the name of those clocks...I want to say atom clocks but thats not it...you know the clocks that keep time no matter what...oh crap...help me out here...is it atomic?? nooo that doesnt sound right!!! But I have some contractors using them now in their transfomers for a timer.

Thats all I got for now.

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Atomic Clock was correct.

4. seolatlanta

seolatlanta LawnSite Member

I ordered a starter kit from this company - www.controlscape.net

Firefly told me about it and it seems really cool- a landscape light specific X-10 style system. The main difference between the 2 is that this shoots a 40 volt charge through the home system so the signal is much easier found, as opposed to a 5 volt signal from X-10.

It also seems that the clock is easier to set and more homeowner friendly-I will keep you posted on how it works.

5. Eden Lights

3000 Kelvin would be a excellent color, what will the warranty on fixture and electronics be? We get price lists from yall from time to time, do you install also?

6. Eden Lights

UPB has been huge for us, with over 1000 UPB devices installed. We have several of all the UPB schedulers in the field: PCS TEC timer, Simply-Automated Scheduler, ControlScape, HAI panels, and WebMountain,dubed the OLP timer. The ControlScape unit is really a homerun for exterior lighting applications: an excellent feature set and ultra reliable without the steep learning curve of all the other units. We installed two this week, my 8 year old daughter programmed the scheduler and mated the modules at our house the night before each time.

7. af7850

af7850 LawnSite Member

Please explain, what is the great advantage of these units? I took a few minutes to browse through the ControlScape site. While it is pretty cool in the techie sort of way, I just don't see a huge advantage here. I mean, is it realy that difficult to walk outside or downstairs and change the timer at the transformer?

One thing that I am very interested in though is the LED lighting. I am getting ready to jump into the lighting business in the next few weeks, and I think that this could be big for us. Being in the midwest, our "cutting edge" seems to be a couple years behind the rest of the country, and I believe that I would be the first in my area to use LED. Plus, I plan to pomote the superior efficiency that my designs offer, and this would fall right into line with my other features.

So, please "sell" me on these UPB units, and if anyone is finding success in LED lighting I'd love to hear about it.

8. Eden Lights

You should think about where you want to be in the market with your new business? If you are thinking about LED's you are targeting the top few percent as of right now. The clients that will be in that market don't want to hear anything about a system that requires them walk all over the property or basement playing with the controls.

9. seolatlanta

seolatlanta LawnSite Member

Eden Lights-

So you have used a lot of the ControlScape stuff?

I cant wait to try it.

Dave

10. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

"I just don't see a huge advantage here. I mean, is it realy that difficult to walk outside or downstairs and change the timer at the transformer?"

Multiple transformer projects which need simultaneous switching
    astronomical timer
    battery backup
    control of the system from a remote location
    Do you think your client is going to be happy with you when he has to crawl under the built in BBQ to change a time setting
    Scenes
    Dimming capabilities
    and more

Are you convinced now?