Latest start in 5 years

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gaither, Mar 17, 2005.

1. gaither

gaither LawnSite Member

I realize i do not deal with the snow like you guys in the North but this is the latest start I have had in my 5 years of business.(when it comes to mowing) I have had several little jobs but the mowing is my primary source of income. To make things worse the lows are predicted to be in the high 30s and low 40s again next week. At this point it is starting to eat in to my profit. Who else is dealing with this?
  2. ks921

ks921 LawnSite Member

I'm in Nashville. You're right, it is a late start this year. I usually start 1st of March. I've cut 4 properties so far. Landscaping is helping. Next week it's supposed to be in the 60's. I'm starting my regular mowing schedule even if they're wrong about the forecast.
  3. gaither

gaither LawnSite Member

I am in Nashville also. I have cut 3 but those were just ones heavly fertized and 1 that was overseeded with winter rye. I am planning on cutting everybody next week and hope i do not hear it from anyone. Usually by this time you can't sling a dead cat without hitting a mowing truck in south nashville and Brentwood.
  4. lovdasnow

lovdasnow LawnSite Member

crazy, crazy....I live in Oregon, and usually it is raining almost every day right now. raining all the time. This year it hasn't rained a measurable amount in almost a month and a half. Unheard of, don't know what the farmers are going to do. I've been turning on sprinkler systems, mowing every week. It was 78 degrees last week.
    California has gotten all of our rain and snow, the mountains here normally have between 7-15 feet of snow right now. This year 0-15" right now.
    hope it warms up for you guys, I'll give you some of our warmth if you send a little cold and some rain. Let me know if it's a deal...

take care...jon
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

lovdasnow, you got yourself a deal! Im way behind because of rain and cold. Im ready for some dry,78 degree weather for a change.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm running about 2 weeks behind normal right now. Usually at this time of year we are starting to see some 60 and 70 degree days. The 15 day forecast doesn't call for any 60s until almost April.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

This is one of my latest starts in quite sometime too :realmad:
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I was feeling good until this morning. Now we almost have all the snow down to just the big piles and they say by tomorrow noon we will have 10freakin inches on the ground.
    So much for spring.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I guess we'll all just have to double time it when the weather is normal again.
  10. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

for the last 9 years or so, we have had earlier starts than we used to in the 80s and 90s here in NC, SC, TN area, the rule used to be, you mowed from the last week of March thru the first week of Oct.!!! We have been starting a week or 2 earlier, and have been going 5 to 7 weeks later in the season, probably due to the change in climate since the 70s and 80s.