Latest time to overseed in North East

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jsmonroeCT, Sep 19, 2004.

1. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I had just finished aerating and overseeding (rotary spreader) my lawn this past Wednesday. With all the rain we had from Ivan on Saturday, it appears all my aeration holes are gone and all my seed washed away. My questions is this - I will prbobaly core aerate again but I wanted to know about seeding - if I rent a slit seeder next weekend and overseed again with perenial rye, will it be too late in the season for the grass to take or should I wait until the spring? Our day temps are in the mid 70's with the evening going down into the 50's. Thanks for the advice.

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I'm also in New England (aint it a great place to live?) anyway general rule of thumb is to be sure your seeding is done by the 15th of Oct.
    Of course we have had seasons where seeding in early Nov worked out fine. But once we past Oct 15 your chances for success get slimmer with every passing day

Good luck

3. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

TSM,

Thanks. I will then rent the slit seeder and throw down the perenial rye this weekend. Ive used the Lesco Double Eagle on some spots I had to fill in this fall and it germinated in 3-4 days. I should make it...